353 bilge pump ?

Notices
Formula

353 bilge pump ?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 353 bilge pump ?

'02 353, has two 1100gph pumps, one mounted low on the stbd side, one mounted on the port side a few inches higher but still below the high water alarm float. Currently only the low mounted pump is working. I pulled the other one out of its mount and it is bound up tight. Tried starting it moving with a screw driver with no luck. Just picked up a couple pumps, one to replace and one to have on the shelf. My question is, since both of these run off the lower mounted float, the one on the port side (higher mounted) will free spin with no water cycling through it. Why design this way?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Registered

can you post a pic? Mine are both mounted against center stringer with the high water sensor mounted at the bottom edge of the starboard stringer.Also my setup has individual floats.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

that makes no sense to me at all....if both run off of one float why bother having one higher? i can understand if it was a backup pump on a separate float to kick in if the level got too high for the primary pump....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Figured it out. There are actually two floats mounted on top of each other on the port side, lower is for the bilge pump, upper is for the high water alarm. Contorting around the motors and vacu-flush parts I wasn't originally able to see the lower float. Problem turned out to be a seized pump which was a biotch to replace. On top of that the hidden inline fuse had popped, fortunately there was a parts store close by. All is well and working, let it rain......