Notices
Formula

Termite formula 233

Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Termite formula 233

Hello all,

New poster here, long time reader. I thought I'd share my project with you all, because if you are anything like me you love to read and see pics of this stuff.

Enter 1980 formula 233 sportsman. It was given to me by a local marina here in Key West. Anything that was/is wood is infested with termites. also much of the foam has been chewed up into swisschees. They used the foam to create very intricte tunels. I've never seen anything like it before. So, Now Im gutting it completly. Im on day three of the demo. Here are some pictures of the boat, and I will follow with my next post with pics of the termites. I had to photograh it so I could share.
Attached Thumbnails Termite formula 233-p8150304.jpg   Termite formula 233-p9020339.jpg  

Last edited by mbeyra; 09-04-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

Default Check out the termites!!

The termites converted the foam into there lair. Very bizzare. Any of you ever seen something like this in a boat?

These pics are from fwd port just infront of the bulk head where the steering wheel is. Whever I'd sawzall a fiber peice, beneath it I found thousands of termite. The boat was like that from bow to stern. Amazing!!
The first picture is of what once was foam. They shreaded it and created these bizare termite homes.

I'll keep posting during my restoration if you all are interested.

Best Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Termite formula 233-termite1.jpg   Termite formula 233-termite2.jpg  

Last edited by mbeyra; 09-03-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck ya, keep the pictures coming. I am always amazed when somebody with vision can snatch a boat or car from the verge of being tossed out and bring it back to life.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

WOW! That's amazing!

Have fun and don't let them move into the house!

Don't forget to support the hull really well when you cut out the stringers!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

This could give you lots of neat idea's for a new name!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How about "Buggin Out"
Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought of termites attacking the wood like that.
But then last year I had carpenter ants in my engine hatch. They destroyed the plywood under the top padding.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
I never thought of termites attacking the wood like that.
But then last year I had carpenter ants in my engine hatch. They destroyed the plywood under the top padding.

I found a bunch in my Donzi the other day. I sprayed the thing with chemicals. All I can figure out is that they are dropping in from the trees over the boat. So the trees are falling down one at a time!!! I took one of them down and it had like a million of them inside it
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Registered

Default more termite f233

wantsa311: Yes, I enjoy bringing things back from the dead. This boat was going to the chopping block the next day. THe sportsman got a lucky break.

I had no idea though about the termites. That was a complete surprise.

resurrected: I have my dad working on bracing the hull. He's to old to climb onboard but he's great at carpentry. He's building a complete undercarrige out of 2x4's. Looks pretty good so far.

We bought a portable car port. Im currently in the middle of building it. WE NEED SHADE. Its hot out here in the middle of the day. Can only go for 40 minutes at a time before retreating to a cooler shaddy'er spot.

Audiofn: I like the name, bugging out. Very fitting. Thanks for the idea.

Also, I noticed as I was throwing bits of foam and wood over the side that the ants were attacking the termites. The ants were in a frenzy. They were carrying all the termites off! So I said, self how about building the ants a ladder so they can climb on the boat and devour those blood sucking termites. I put a couple sticks leading into the transom opening and sure enough after about a hour or so they figured it out. They marched right up there and started taking those little suckers.

Now, how to get rid of the ants.. Lizards!! There are pletty of those around.

Interesting thing to note. My 73 233 has solid decks where as my 80 was toast. I noticed that the 80 has glass going up only about half the stringer hieght. Whereas the 73 has the stringers completly encapsulated.

I'll post pics once Im done errecting the structure and you all can give me your opinions on the bracing before I start removing stringers.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!

Mikeb
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Registered

Default Progress f233

Hello all,

Its been a while since my last post, but that because I've been up to my ears in fiberglass!

So heres an update:

The boat was completly gutted, top removed. What a mess!
Reglassed and built new transom.. Repaired any damage and then put new stringers and bulkheads in. Raised the floor by 3 inches. (self bail)

Modified and re-cored the top. Its now set up like a center console. Instead of screwing it on I glued the two together then glassed inside. Tuff to do, but makes for a very solid setup.

Installed stainless marine bracket and purchased and installed 2000 yamaha 225.

Installed new bennete trim tabs M120's. New hydraulic steering. New fuel cell. Used center console from wellcraft.

You think the 225 will be enough to plane? What do you all think?? Inputs??

Its been a long hard road, but she's comming along nicely. My pop's is getting itchy to get fishing!

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Termite formula 233-p2280189.jpg   Termite formula 233-p2280187.jpg   Termite formula 233-p2280193.jpg  

Quick Reply: Termite formula 233

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.