303 SR1 owners please chime in! >

303 SR1 owners please chime in!

Notices
Formula

303 SR1 owners please chime in!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty happy with mine - it's a '92 with '97 454 mags (gotta love the fuel injection). The only thing that I really don't like, is that instead of K-planes, mines got a Bennett "starter set" trim tabs. I did buy a complete K-plane set up that I'll install this winter.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Registered

Thanks to everyone who replied. I wound up buying the boat, and have been enjoying learning it's ins and outs. It runs very strong, and is very responsive to inputs of drive trim. I do however need some tips on the trim tabs. The boat is equiped with Kiekhaefer tabs and for the most part, with advise from the seller, I have been leaving them right around 3-3.5 on the dash indicator. Am I correct in assuming that 3 is pretty much neutral with the running pad of the hull? The boat planes effortlessly, so the tabs aren't really needed, but what about top end? Would it be best to leave them in neutral position or to raise them up all the way? Obviously load and water conditions are going to play a role, but for this exercise let's assume we are talking average load (3/4 tank fuel and 2 occupants) and water anywhere from flat-1.5' chop.

The boat runs and handles great, but if there is anything I can do to optimize speed/handling/efficiency in regards to use of the tabs, I would love to learn it.

I very much appreciate the insight anyone can give.

-MB
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new ride
Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered

Thx masi. BTW, a good friend of mine just purchased a clean '88 242 LS this season. It's packing a very worked motor (inside and out) and strapped with a Weiand supercharger. Nice boat!

Last edited by BowenCT; 07-06-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With that kind of power it is sure to wake up that 242, all it takes is money
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BowenCT
The boat runs and handles great, but if there is anything I can do to optimize speed/handling/efficiency in regards to use of the tabs, I would love to learn it.-MB
The planes are really a learn-as-you-go thing. Experiment with them, adjust slowly while at speed as they do a lot with just a small bit of input. At setting three, they should be close to flat with the hull. Just check them on the trailer.

The planes are very nice for adjusting for people on one side or the othe of the boat. And, real nice for adjusting the hull up a bit on one side when quartering into the waves.

We cruise the St. Lawrance a bit, sometimes hit really big cruiser wakes. I can run at cruise (40 or so), see a big wake and just before I hit it I knife the planes in hard and deep. They respond quickly, then draw them back out immediately after the wake. It sets that bow right down into them and cuts nicely. Now......... BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diving these big planes in at speed can be dangerous. You need to pay attention and don't do any slolom coures turns while you're doing it.

If you let inexperienced people drive your boat (while you're on it of course), don't let them play with the planes! Those planes can set that boat right up on its side with one in and the other out.

As for full speed runs, I usually pull them all the way out. But, at least with my boat, it'll porpoise a bit and that reduces speed. So sometimes, at bit of tab in helps speed.

Like I said earlier, you play with them and you'll become one with them. Pretty soon you'll only be looking at the indicators for reference, it will be by seat of the pants feel mostly.

Hope the boat treats you well.

Last edited by ThirdBird; 07-07-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered

Thanks ThirdBird for the helpful reply!