on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant >

on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant

Notices
Formula

on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant

Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is mounted right where 500 hps said his is, but I mounted mine on velcro with the antenna right next to it and fold it back towards the rear hatch. Hole drilling was at a minimal that way. We use the radio when on the Mississippi river to contact the lock and dams.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antennas are polarized vertically. I don't see how you can tx or Rv when the end of it is pointed toward the other guys antenna??
Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM
rjr
Registered

Unless maybe you are using one of those short antennas you see on a sailboats mast??
Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
rjr
Registered

I believe you, it's just that the radiation pattern for this type of antenna looks like a doughnut with the mast sticking through the hole. If the mast is vertical and high you get the best range. If its laying down you will still get some range but I am surprised its only a 20% reduction. Especially if the antenna is pointed at the receiving / transmitting antenna. There might also be some VSWR consideration, especially if someone or thing is sitting near the antenna. You might try hooking up one of those antenna testers sometime to see, although the fact that it works suggest that the VSWR isn't too bad.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put mine in the factory location, and bought a cover for rain protection. The location of the hole has to be just right; too far inboard, and you run afoul of the thickness of the side panel, too far outboard, and the upholstered panel gets in the way. (You can barely make it out behind the throttles.)

I used a Shakespeare #5242-A 3' salebote mast whip antenna. The whip has a quick-disconnect fitting: 1/4 turn and it's off. I would never run in the Chesapeake without a VHF. I just updated mine to an ICOM M-304 with DSC and an automated SOS/position button.
Attached Thumbnails on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant-20060621cambridgehyatt.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 12-16-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
rjr
Registered

Thanks for the advice C Spray. Now you have me wondering how well my radio will fit. Can the panel be removed to cut the hole? How well does that antenna work? I think the only difference between it and an 8' antenna is the height. The radiating element should be about the same for both since they operate at the same frequency. I have never taken a sailboat antenna apart so I don't know for sure. It doesn't seem like 5 feet would make that big a difference.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut the hole by drilling the four holes in each corner of the template and using a hand keyhole saw to "connect the dots". Since the faceplate of the radio will cover most errors, you have someroom to maneuver. Basically, you want it as far inboard as possible. If you take the shifters out, you can get a feel for the panel thickness.

I guess the antenna works OK, but I usually make only short-range calls to marinas on my way in. Some day, I'll have it checked with a meter...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
rjr
Registered

The meter will give you VSWR but not gain. To measure gain you need a field strength meter or a calibrated antenna at a known distance. You can get a rough idea by calling someone a known distance away and then trying again using an 8 foot antenna. I would be curious to know the result.

Quick Reply: on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.