make over inputs needed >

make over inputs needed

Notices
Formula

make over inputs needed

Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joker, great looking older SR-1. Nice color combination.

Just some info for you joker, if you are really set on removing the front handrails, be prepaired to spend some significant time and effort removing the interior panels to be able to get to the hardware which hilds the rails to the deck. You may want to re think that one.

As stated before, replacing vinyl in sections the same as original will save a few dollars and make later replacement easier as well.

Congrats on having one of the calssic Formula's.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after reading your post I am going to agree with most of you.... well all of you actually. The vinyl will be replaced as individual panels however I am illeminating the black stripe from the sun pad. The side pieces will be recovered as light grey. The silent thunder platform is now removed and a aluminum platform is getting prepped to be installed. The transom is getting cleaned up and repainted since the last owner bottom painted the transom black and it looked horrible.
You have all also persueded me to keep her a classic with an updated the interior and go for more power.
Thanks again to all.....
ITS GETTIN BOATIN SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered
VIP Member

O.K.....

I gave this a lot of thought.....mostly because I don't want to offend....

So, this is my direction....

I bought a 357 a few years ago.....and it has been a tremendous joy. So far, of the 12 or so boats that I have owned.....my 357 is BY FAR my favorite. However.....

The technology in fabrication has grown by leaps and bounds. Most for the good, but some bad. I LOVE the fact that an American here in America cut plywood and stretched vinyl over the various trim pieces......but I hate the fact that I am now replacing nearly 20 year old wood....but.....it affords me the opportunity to "update"....

My wife refers to this as "wasting money".....but lets not mention the 5000 pairs of shoes that are gradually taking over the entire house.....

I see the purists side of wanting to return to original...but we're not talking about a 60's all mahogany Chris Craft....this is a GO-Fast with a well appointed "stabbin-cabin"....

Think of your own vision at the time of purchase....probably went something like this.....
"I think I can afford it.....yeah.....I can....it looks a little dated.....but EVERYTHING works!!.....and I can tell the guy really took great care of it.....and the trailer looks brand new....and I can get my wife that thingy shes been wanting to shift the focus away from my new baby......O.K......I'm doin it!"

If, at that moment....another SR-1 for sale showed up with a new interior, updated dash, modern appointments...different graphics...basically a modernized version of the one you were ready to buy.....but it was another 5k.....don't you think you would have made the leap? In your mind, you know it would cost for than 5k to make the first one catch up cosmetically....I bet you would....I certainly would.

Of course you have purists out there that want the "original"...but I think they are FAR out numbered (think perspective future buyer) by folks that want a Go-Fast with a well appointed stabbin-cabin...and a modern look can cast a fairly significant shadow over the last two numbers in your HIN!!

Finally...think of YOUR personality. Isn't your truck an extension of who you are? Should'nt your boat be as well? Mine is....as are most "guys".....we are the "show me" breed....where size DOES matter.....and we stive to have the "bigger, better, faster, louder.....".....perpetually. It's a disease.....and I got it B A D ! You probably do too.....unless you're a purist.....and that is fine.

Here is the "CommanderSander" biased portion....

Due to manufacturing limitations at the time of production, Formula was forced to make the boats much heavier in tems of basic hull construction and trim stuff back then. Alloys and composits have replaced nearly ALL of that hand crafted stuff that I have removing and updating as time goes on. Point? I have a much newer looking boat that personifies ME as well as receiving the benefits of lighter, new materials that will NEVER rot, crack, stain or smell. Good ****....

I personally don't have an interest in what a future buyer might think of my updates. No doubt, they won't be the ones that he/ she would have done.....or at least not the way I did them....but again.....I don't really think about it. My 357 is mine.....and it personifies me....and slowly but surely.....it is becoming newer, faster, louder.....screaming "Look at the fun I'm having all you land lubbers" as I pass along the beaches of South West FL.

My "upgrades"....
Red/White/Grey/Black cockpit scheme gone along with the wood and foam
New scheme is marine white with soft grey and purple accents.
Drives and tabs purple to match with silver rams
Engine hatch (sun pad)redone in Skull and Swords
EVERY snap, button and rail removed except for cleats and the two rails adjacent to the sunpad (this was easy, but I have a carpet headliner)
Hatches powder coated white and the Lexan replaced with white
Rub rail changed to white
Docking light housings painted white
SeaBoard construction for the seats, soon to be wrapped to match
Cabin carpet in black with two steps down into cabin....risers in purple
Coushins are grey ultra suede and closed-cell memory foam with purple vinyl stripes
All lighting is now LED
6-Optima blue with two Xantrek Pro 1800 inverters (wife likes hot cocoa)
NavMan Color GPS/Chart

Soon (ordered yesterday) Autometer Marine Carbon fiber gauges with purple rings and white panels. When I do this, I am updating the helm configuration to mimic the gauge assortment in the nissan maxima....and then the helm will be repainted to match the yet to be determined graphics....currently red/siler/black......gotta go!

Sorry so long.....ultimately....consider what YOU want....and start doin the things that will get you there!

Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

commandersander i wanna see some pics of your upgrades. I'm sure everyone else would be interested too.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered

I'm sure everyone would love to see your upgrades. I agree the interiors are dated.
That's what the forum is for, everyones ideas for all to see. Let's see that 357...
Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

The forum won't let me post attachments....
suggestions?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use a third party like photobucket
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

http://photobucket.com/BootyHunter

hope it works....
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Registered

The update's look great!! I have been searching for pics of a older formula without the rails, I deffinately like the the no rail look alot better.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered

How hard was it to get the side vents by the windshield off? Or were they not removed? Mine are in need of some attention.

Quick Reply: make over inputs needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.