General Formula Questions

Notices
Formula

General Formula Questions

Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Formula Questions

Just to get this out of the way: I'm nearly a complete newbe to powerboats, so please bare with me.

I've been looking at moving up in boat size for a while (Had numerous ski boats and runabouts for past decade) and with the current market on these boats I think its a good time to do it. After looking around online and reading everything i can find, I've almost settled on a late 80's early 90's 357

I'm not looking for a 70+ mph boat, but somthing that will move when prodded, will handle rougher waters at speed and still has enough room to spend the weekend camping on with a couple close friends.

Beyond the basics, What should I be looking for specific to these boats? I'll have a survey done before I purchase one, but want to be confident in it before hand.

What can I expect above and beyond for upkeep, ect?

Also, if anyone in the AZ area wouldnt mind me taking a look at one I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by dues201; 08-02-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your budget? Location that you boat? Have you ever driven a larger boat? With Twins?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

my formula 35-7 gets the job done on what you are talking about. biiiiig cockpit, rooooom for my family of 5 in the cabin, waves crusher, and unfortunatly not a 70 plus mph boat, but who cares, I'm cruising 35-40 95% of time anyway!

I'm in a 30 foot cruiser tonight, twin 4.3 liter engine. Big cabin but so weak on power! I'd trade the cabin room for a more comfortable ride like my 35-7. I'm looking to change but can't find another go fast that gives me as much room inside, except maybe 42 sonic...

get your survey done, have it checked for compression and leak down on engine, if TRS make sure trannies are in good shape, , and there you have it!

if you have any other specific question on that boat let me know!

Last edited by jeff32; 08-03-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dues201
Just to get this out of the way: I'm nearly a complete newbe to powerboats, so please bare with me.

After looking around online and reading everything i can find, I've almost settled on a late 80's early 90's 357
That's a lot of boat for a self-proclaimed newbe. I'm not busting on you, you're being honest about your boating experience. I'm sure you could eventually handle it but that is still a ton of boat (actually, its about 6 tons of boat).

Hopefully, you can sea-trial the boat for a few hours with an also hopefully experienced owner. Do the docking thing, cruise slow and fast, CAREFULLY mess with the tabs and trim. Once you get the feel for that big boat, you'll love it. In many ways, it's easier to handle that big one than some little cork.

Good luck and go easy. There's lots of expereince here so ask away.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered

Everything that you guys have mentioned are my concerns.

I'm currently in AZ, temporally, but live in CO. I want the boat for the interior size, and to use in large inland lakes (havasu, ect) and the great lakes.

I'm not too concerned with docking / handling, I'm sure that will come with a little practice, but more so with maintenance and upkeep. What could I expect beyond a smaller boat? Are Twins that much more to handle? What kind of service life (hours) can you really expect from an engine, ( I keep seeing really low rebuild hours)?

Thanks again for all the replys

Last edited by dues201; 08-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

I have'nt seen any difference docking and handling the boat compared to my 26 footer even my 20 footer. just need a larger space though!

they came mostly with 454 420 hp or some with 502's. both are bone stock engines, reliable, good to go at leat IMO 500 hours without any specific maintenance other than regular maintenance. I'd say 800 hours your are getting close to rebuit but would think 1000 hours if not race driven. That's just my opinion maybe someone with more engine knowledge could chime in here and tell more about engine hours... 800 I'm pretty sure...
Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

might sell

I have a 31 ft formula 312 fasttech with new trailer i might sell if i can find a 38-41 ft it has twin 6.2s about 65- mph.good all around boat.low hours.

Last edited by towboss56; 08-09-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling