Advice on 223ss fuel consumption and trim tabs

Notices
Formula

Advice on 223ss fuel consumption and trim tabs

Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 223ss fuel consumption and trim tabs

I found an 89 223 ss with under 350 hours on it. It's completely stock and we're picking it up tomorrow. I've never had trim tabs so I'm not sure exactly how to use them other than to get on plane quickly if I'm fully loaded. I've heard they can help with fuel economy and so I'm wondering how to use them to help. I have the stock 454 330hp and what is the most efficient rpm for crusing and fuel consumption? I was thinking I get the motor to that rpm and then play with the tabs to see if I get a speed increase or even rpm increase and then experiment until I get the fastest mph with the most efficent rpm? I'm just guessing here, not really sure if that's what I'm supposed to do or not? Also on a side note if I'm trying to make a wot run to see how fast it goes should I simply raise the tabs all the way up? I'll get some video and pics posted tomorrow afternoon when we pick it up and get out on the water!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered

If the water is smooth u wont even touch them.. I use my tabs as needed to blance boat out. You will get the feel of them as you get use to boat. Different weather conditions ect.. You will like the 223ls Great boat Moves quick an enough room for family n friends.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Registered

trim tabs are for leveling the boat port-starboard (left-right) and would not do too much for getting the boat on plane. the outdrive trim is more effective in that regard.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered

Thanks I've been playing with them and they definately do help with keeping the boat level depending on load.