Notices
Formula

Gas Smell

Old 10-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If it's also in the cuddy then I agree it's prolly the tank and you got gas fumes running all under the hull... Your tanks under the floor or accessible? Hopefully you don't have to cut out the floor like I just had to on a donzi
Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said, sounds like the fuel tank has leaks. I had to replace the tank in my 1987 Formula. For some reason the tank did not have the ground wire on it which is supposed to help with corrosion. Plus the boat is 20+ years old - not uncommon for the tank to fail.

I have had 2 gas tanks fail, both with no visible gas anywhere, but stunk up the cabin more than anytihing.

If you smell gas you have a leak. DON'T USE THE BOAT UNTIL YOU FIGURE IT OUT! As I said unfortunately it probably is the tank which is not a fun or cheap job. You can have the tank pressure tested to figure out whether it is leaking for certain. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

I have a excess panel Im going to pull and look to this weekend. If it is the tank were do I order new one from ?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BrooKLyn
I have a excess panel Im going to pull and look to this weekend. If it is the tank were do I order new one from ?
You probably won't be able to see much from the access panel. I forget where I ordered mine from, but there are many companies who make them. You measure your old tank and they custom build it. It's a beetoch to get them out - it will be foamed in there and will need to be cut out. I had my marina do the work -too much for me. On one boat I stripped as much of the interior out as I could to help and save $$. Your local boatyards / marinas probably have a shop they use to build tanks. Do some shopping and searches here, plus ask in the general forum. I got quotes from $800 to $1800 just for the tank part alone for 150gal.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

Has the boat been run in heavy seas? If so did you notice the fuel smell after or during that time? It's happened to me. You may have a cracked fuel tank, cracked at the seams at the weld. It's a pain in the azz, but an easy fix. It happened in my race boat a 382.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the tank! Also when the tank is out check the stringers. The port side is the one that usually lets go from the bottom. This is also a good time to replace you fuel fill,vent and pick up hoses. Replace the grounding leads also.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the gasket on the fuel sender they leak and it not hard to replace.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Registered

I looked everywhere but tank yesterday. And didnt see nothing wet or stained.. Plus smell seems stronger since my drive way is on slant.. I also notice there was only one blower.. Is that right ?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:50 PM
don
Registered

Sounds like the tank is shot. If all seals look good and you can try to tape the vent then put a little pressure into the tank you will see the leak is in the tank. Spray soapy water at any connections in the gas line.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered

Have the tank pressure tested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.