To do or not to do?

Notices
Formula

To do or not to do?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by The Get Away
I have had the boat boat for 2 summers and put about 60 hrs on them and they have a total of 550 hrs and they have been doing that since i have owned it. I dont beat the **** out of it but i do open it up if im lucky once when i go out. I think that the exhaust is stock and if it would do then i would rather not change it, i would rather do the intake cam roller rockers but i don't want that to be a waste of money if the exhaust is going to restrict it either.
The 420's had decent exhaust from the factory if they were gil's. Mine were the wet joint hydrolocking version so I upgraded to imco's for reliability and weight savings....no performance gains there over stock. Additionally you should already have the crane gold wide body rockers if you have the 420's, just open the oil fill cap and check, it will be obvious.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 454captiva
The 420's had decent exhaust from the factory if they were gil's. Mine were the wet joint hydrolocking version so I upgraded to imco's for reliability and weight savings....no performance gains there over stock. Additionally you should already have the crane gold wide body rockers if you have the 420's, just open the oil fill cap and check, it will be obvious.

That is correct but for him to upgrade to the Roller cam is about $1000 per enging for the roller cam/springs/ligters. What model Gils would it have?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

It should have had either the crappy two piece manifold and 90 degree riser with stainless tails or the 4" gils from the factory...merc switched to the gil's due to water ingestion problems from the earlier style. They are listed on bam's website.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

with the cash boats are bringing i d leave it alone enjoy enjoy enjoy use the cash to buy more gas
Old 10-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you are ready to spend good money then I would also leave it. My motors read off the same as yours for RPM. I am spinning 23's however. I am going to try out some 25's and see how it goes.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a few more mph and not spend a ton like everyone else, didn't really want to do a set of headers and if the ones i have are fine then i will continue to run them. The guys that i run with all have singles and are a little faster, so like everyone else you want to keep up or be a little faster. I guess i will wait till they step it up and get a real boat with a pair of motors.
Audiofn Unless you are ready to spend good money then I would also leave it. My motors read off the same as yours for RPM. I am spinning 23's however. I am going to try out some 25's and see how it goes. You are running 23p 3 or 4 blades.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

just a thought but you could also step it up and get a boat with a beak
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Registered

The 420's in 88 came with TRS's, which are run pretty deep, also 1.5 ratio. You will get your best top end with a 3 blade most likely. I dont know about the reliability of the early Gil manifolds that came on the 420's, but your not going to pick up any performance by replacing them.

I ran 550hp 502's in my 311 with TRS drives and it ran in the upper 70's on GPS. I dont think a cam change and intake is going to give you a noticable increase.

At 550hrs, I would say your getting close to a valve job and new valve springs to help keep it reliable. As mentioned, its easy to spend a ton of money on a boat, ,make your investments wisely.

LE
Old 11-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malo29
just a thought but you could also step it up and get a boat with a beak
Thats a good idea, cause you don't see very many fountains on the water. I don't know why would anyone want a boat that you can put 5 people and a cooler in the cockpit.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Registered

correction i can fit 6 in seats and a cooler in the cockpit and walk completely around my motor. Im not a rocket scientist but sounds to me like this whole thread was about speed, horsepower and keeping up with the guys you run with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.