Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
271 sr-1 on a loadrite with rollers >

271 sr-1 on a loadrite with rollers

Notices

271 sr-1 on a loadrite with rollers

Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm renting a place in beach haven in July. It has a slip. Maybe this will work this year. last year, it was the week after the rendezvous. I have had some pretty crappy ramps, and some good ones. The public one on LBI near the causeway is ok, a little shallow, and a lot of seaweed. Bordentown has a short ramp. I used one in millville and my truck was spinning all four wheels. Neshaminy State Park is the nicest closest one. Thanks for the support!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can power on my bunk no problem, but a waist to me, I just float it up 3 easy cranks and its on

previous

after

Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Registered

I used to own a marina and have see thousands of launches and retrievals. the float on is fine if you know your trailer/boat setup well and there is no wind or current, but it leaves that roller sticking up and nothing to stop you from plowing it HARD and gouging up the boat. also many times I see folks float on pull the trailer out and the boat is not centered on the trailer and leaning one way or the other.

What has always worked best for me is: Put trailer in until you can just see the wheel wells barley peeking out of the water, drive on, slowly, aim at the roller, once your kinda on the trailer throttle up SLOWLY until your creepin up the trailer, once your really close to the roller (have GF/wife tell you) leave the throttle where it is just walk up and hook the eye up, winch snug and go shut it down.
Dont use sudden throttle movements! I cant count the times I have seen someone get to the roller expecting wifey to hook it up and just pop it in neutral and the boat just rolls back in the drink. Or better yet, gets it on the trailer leaves it in forward never even hooking it up and their buddy in the truck takes off they shut it down and the boat SAILS off the ass of the trailer and on to the ramp!

I should have had a camera mounted to record all the follies. My fav was the guy with a bull horn in the boat to blare his backing instructions to the wife.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

Yeah, this trailer is head scratching. I figure the trailer was set up for something else, and at some point a dealer threw this in without tuning it. My problems are: Up and Down movement while towing, launching it, and then retrieving it. Just about everything. I called around, and even though I live 15 minutes from the Load Rite factory, it doesn't seem like the knowledgebase is there for the proper specs. I also called every marina within 50 miles, and waned my confidence in having it done right. My first inclination is to move the boat forward and drop the cradle in the front.

here is a direct link to the image.. with questions.
Any help would be much appreciated

https://picasaweb.google.com/02603se...18021874016226
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Get some guide poles installed at both sides near the stern and simplify your life. Guide poles are a way of life here in Florida...with the tide in and out and different angle on the ramps we have to have them...otherwise the trailer disappears. I even have my lights on mine.

I have mine long enough so that when the boat is on the trailer the top of the poles are 20" above the rub rail.

I come back in after a day out...ease up to the dock by the ramp and tie up. I go get the truck...back down the ramp into the water...set the brake. I then pull the boat between the poles, hook the winch strap to the bow eye...pull the winch up tight and pull up the ramp. Always centered on the trailer and ready to ride.

You can do it yourself for about $100...this launching deal can make or break your day. You are too intelligent to get wigged out over this...there is a better way.

http://www.rockettrailers.com/PartsB...GuidePoles.htm

http://www.rockettrailers.com/PartsB...GuidePoles.htm

I hope this helps you...good luck.

Beautiful rig BTW.

When I first got mine I tried it one time w/o guide poles...I said "Frig This" then got the poles...life is good.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Yep I have guides, and the boat lines up very nicely on the rollers. The balance while towing is questionable, and the launches and retrievals could be easier, since I am mostly a one man show.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered

I think the bouncing when driving could be helped by moving the boat front on the trailer. Also, I started using a ratchet tie down at the front from the eye hook to the trailer to stop some bouncing that I had.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 02603sec View Post
Yep I have guides, and the boat lines up very nicely on the rollers. The balance while towing is questionable, and the launches and retrievals could be easier, since I am mostly a one man show.
Yeah...it was set up for something else as you say. You probably have very little tongue weight or none at all...I'm going through that deal myself. You probably know about the 10% of the gross should be on the tongue. I think you can get away with less with multiple axles...depends on how ass heavy it is...and we know Formulas are ASS heavy. You have some gymnastics to go through doing this...you just about need to hit a ramp during the week when no one is around sweating you for the ramp and move the boat around on the trailer...good luck with this.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

the boat is snug in the cradle, but the rear of F250 diesel gets a lot of up and down, which makes the tow ride uncomfortable. That's my concern. The trailer tandem axles are not far enough aft?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 02603sec View Post
the boat is snug in the cradle, but the rear of F250 diesel gets a lot of up and down, which makes the tow ride uncomfortable. That's my concern. The trailer tandem axles are not far enough aft?
OK...not fair...you've been holding out on us...you DID take geometry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.