Damn headliner

Notices
Formula

Damn headliner

Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn headliner

My 382 headliner is falling. All over the cabin. Last season it was fine, this season is a different story. Is this a common problem with all boats, or more a formula problem? Is the headliner problem specific to size(length), or happens to all?

I don't know if there is anyone around who can repair/replace the headliner. Any leads are appreciated.
I wish formula would perform the repairs. I would have it towed there if they would accept the job.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes - This is a common problem in Formulas of early 2000 vintage. Once the problem cropped up, Formula changed the material. I have some leftovers from doing mine, as well as a description of the process: Details on replacement and leftover material

Formula might very well accept the work. Call them, and ask for Scott Smith in the TAG group.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for the response. I read your posts. Did you use the new type material? Is this material going to hold up?

My boat has been in the water for over a week now. My trailer is getting repaired. I have been running my AC unit off of shore power. I can only get the cabin to about 76 degrees at night. It is 92-95 degrees here in Louisiana with a heat index of 110.

How cool can I expect the cabin to ge under these conditions? I noticed the unit started freezing up, I have not found anyone to check it out yet.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:33 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

I would be surprised if Formula turns you down to complete the work, of course it will be on your dime but they are well aware of this problem on many of the early 2000 Fastech's. It's nasty chit when it starts to come down been there done that.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mackattack
Thanks for the response. I read your posts. Did you use the new type material? Is this material going to hold up?
Yes- This is the new material (and a KILLER price). Time will tell how it holds up, but there have been no reports of failures since Formula switched. The headliner job is do-able by a proficient upholstery shop, and will cost less than taking the boat to Indiana. Let me know if you want any of my leftover material; it's priced well below what Formula (or anyone else) will charge you.

Originally Posted by Mackattack
My boat has been in the water for over a week now. My trailer is getting repaired. I have been running my AC unit off of shore power. I can only get the cabin to about 76 degrees at night. It is 92-95 degrees here in Louisiana with a heat index of 110. How cool can I expect the cabin to ge under these conditions? I noticed the unit started freezing up, I have not found anyone to check it out yet.
That's close to the limit of what the AC can do, especially if you are in warm water. It might be low on freon, which any AC shop can take care of without having to remove the unit. If it starts to freeze up, turn the thermostat up until it is above the current cabin temperature and the unit switches over to the heating cycle. Within a few minutes, all the ice should melt off, and you can switch back to cooling. Try fitting some home-made sunshades to the inside of the hatches; that will help a lot.

Last edited by C_Spray; 07-11-2011 at 10:37 AM.