'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Holy cow, all that chasing and work, people double checking there work are it comes down to a manufacturing flaw in a good name brand product. I paid extra for my holley pump as compared to like the summit brand, and what do I get? A chipped magnet that causes it to jam and stop when it warms up stranding me on the lake three times. What a pain.

But like you said, at least you got it figured out before installing them in the boat.

Motor sounds great, what are you going to do with the carbs???????????????

Brian
Not to mention the labor hours and calender time required to do this.

Thanks, it sounded like a tractor before we solved this problem...now it sounds pretty decent There was a SBC in the shop that had a similar grind "flat tappet' cam that had a very choppy idle. Tommy told us the difference was the roller cam is much smoother at higher lifts and duration than a flat tappet cam... all things being equal.

I am ordering a pair of Quick Fuel 750 Double Pumpers to replace these. We can work a deal on the Q-Jets if your interested. I want to do some in boat comparison testing first though.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THEY RUN! Awesome to hear John. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see her run. By the way, there is a 272 up my way... Give me a call.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I am ordering a pair of Quick Fuel 750 Double Pumpers to replace these. We can work a deal on the Q-Jets if your interested. I want to do some in boat comparison testing first though.
I am interested and not in a real hurry. I want to work out what I am doing so I have a plan in place, but I will not launch the boat untill April at the earliest. Even that is pretty early around here. I can test fire the motors on the hose with what I have now, more concerned about when I launch it.

The comparison of the two on the water is a good idea, will be interesting. Of course if the results are too different, it could kill my interest and further hurt my pocket book.....

Brian
Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Two suburbans. I have a 04 2500 with the 496 and 3.73's. Rated at 10k towing, 17k gcwr. I tow a 31' travel traier with it and it does great right at the 17k total.

. I may need to get a second 3/4 ton! What do you do with nine kids though?

Brian
Yeah, quoting myself in YOUR thread, how vain. I was looking through old post and I ran across this post by me and laughed. When I joked about getting another 3/4 burb I really didn't think I was that serious, but I ended up with this:

Both are 04's, 496's, 3.73 gears, 4x4, grey cloth interiors, damn near identical. First one I had has 136k miles on it, this one I just picked up with 63k miles. Tows the boat no problem..... Not as slick looking or nice as your new ride, but it does just fine. Plus the 1/2 ton keeps the milage off of these two.

Brian
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

Nice...can't beat a Suburban in my book.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Registered

OK...counting the days now. I'm taking the boat to Ft. Lauderdale Tuesday where the "Heart" transplant will take place.

When your involved in the restoration/upgrade of a boat that's been out of production for 30 years you celebrate your milestones one at a time.

Things to do:
Finalize last minute bilge wiring.
Install new style Bravo Steering ram.
Bolt in inner Plates.
Set up thru drive intake hoses.
Lower engines into bilge.
Install two Bravo I Drives.
Attach all cables and hoses.
Hook up the batteries.

I came within a gnats a$$ of dropping a pair of 500 horse 502's that came available to me. My friend Diego measured his 272 SR-1 with twin 454's today and his are 34" on center...mine are 32 1/2". I'm not re-building the transom on this boat to do it...the Vortec 355's on Bravo I's will carry this boat quite well.

I did find this one though http://www.onestopboats.com/vehicles...or-sale-103802 . A 1991 225 (obviously a typo...sic. 255) Formula Liberator with twin 454's and new transmissions (can you say TRS?!)
[IMG][/IMG]
The history buff in me wants to know more. If this is an original Twin 454 TRS 255 I would love to take a look. This may be the only one left in existence !!. A Very Rare Bird Indeed. If anyone in Minnesota knows of this boat and how to contact the owner give me a shout. it is at Ham Lake, MN.

If all goes well we'll be in the water with new power and new Bravo's in the next few weeks...then the focusing and tuning begins. I talked to Tommy Hoffstetter about props Saturday...he makes a very convincing argument for Herring 5 blade in 20" or 22" pitch. He built a 20' Sea Ray Bow Rider with a 600 horse 427 LS SBC on an XR as his "Sleeper" boat. He picked up 11 mph with a Herring vs a Mercruiser prop in the same pitch!! BTW...I asked him what the SR was like with that power. He said once you get thru the chine walk at about 75 it will go ahead and...use your imagination. I'm going to bug him for a ride in that one!!

I have had interest in this boat here on OSO with a fairly decent following. This thing kind of reminds me of the Project "X" '57 Chevy that Peterson publishing used as a test bed for all sorts of parts and pieces in the '60's and '70's. I guess old Formulas from the '70's and '80's are like the Tri 5 ('55, '56, '57) Chevy's were when i was a kid. They're strong, well built and the design has stood the test of time. Based on my experience with an '86 272 I can predict what this boat will feel like and run like with this power. The variable I can't predict is the effect the Bravo Drives will have on the whole package. We will soon see.

I'll keep the camera handy...this one's been a long time coming!!

Last edited by sprink58; 01-27-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Default Had a set back today...

...found out one of the Bravo I drives I bought on the Swap Shop here is a "Case full of junk" according to my drive guy. So I'm looking for another pre sweptback Bravo I. Shouldn't be to hard to find down here but damn it all... getting screwed stings like Hell!!

I'm a budget boater and every dollar that goes into the boat came from not doing something else!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Registered

Default UPDATE...Motors going in!!

I pulled the 255 down to Ft. Lauderdale to get the engines installed. Next time it comes home it will be ready to go boating!!

Kudos to Willy and crew at All American Trailers in Pompano for the great job they did building and rigging the trailer for this boat. Behind my Escalade ESV at 70~75 MPH it pulls a smooth as silk. No sway...no drift...tracks straight and true and the brakes work great.

As I pulled up to the shop in Ft. Lauderdale to receive the engines I was beaming with pride considering all the favorable looks and comments this old 'Bird got as I pulled up. "Holy Crap....twin Vortecs with Bravos in a 25 footer?"

I just smiled and said..."That's the plan"
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pumped to see things moving John! Sorry to here sbout the POS who sold you the B1
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Way cool! About like being 10 yrs old on Christmas eve when you're that close to splashing a true labor of love.

That 255 w/big blocks would be fun to snoop through.

BTW, on your Sea Ray story, I was in the owner of Hydromtovie Propellers office several yrs ago and he has an ancient 8 x 10 on the wall of a probably late '70's or very early '80's 18' Sea Ray hauling the mail. Perfect attitude of attack and only the prop in the water. I think he told me twin turbo power and had it in the 90's. Think of what a sleeper that thing would be especially back in the day.

Sorry to hear you got screwed on a lower unit. Been there, done that.

Hurry up w/the pix's of it in the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.