Anybody trailering a 350SS?

Notices
Formula

Anybody trailering a 350SS?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody trailering a 350SS?

Thinking about buying a 350 SS. I would still like to trailer it occasionally. Anybody have any experience trailering a 350 SS?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Try this link out. http://formulaboatsforum.com/forumte...p?topic=4356.0
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

I haven't towed the 350SS, but have towed the 330SS for several hundred miles and a few larger travel trailers. I find that towing large trailers is as much a function of the trailer. If you have a well designed trailer that is adequate for the load, and a suitable vehicle with which to do the towing, you should be fine. Naturally, this assumes a reasonable level of competence in the driver! But if you have a marginal, poorly maintained trailer you are a safety risk and will likely not have a satisfactory towing experience.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey
Thinking about buying a 350 SS. I would still like to trailer it occasionally. Anybody have any experience trailering a 350 SS?
Are you keeping the 382?
The 350SS weights in near 13K lbs so a dually is enough truck. The beam is 10'9" so a width permit is required for towing.
Some just risk the run without the permit but I wouldn't.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Are you keeping the 382?
The 350SS weights in near 13K lbs so a dually is enough truck. The beam is 10'9" so a width permit is required for towing.
Some just risk the run without the permit but I wouldn't.
I am thinking of selling the 382 or trading it on a late model 350SS. The mrs wants to go back to a more cruiser style boat and I want to keep her happy (and boating with me.)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I towe a 38 Fountain Express Cruiser which is most likely similiar to the 350SS in width and weight. I use a 1990 Ford F-350 dually diesel. I've also towed a 419 Fastec before that. Been towing Fountain and Formula in Florida for 10+ years. My advise, dually truck and triple axle disc brakes with electric over hydraulic brake system, do not use a surge brake of any kind. Pulling is the easy part, stopping is the hard part. I have always been carefull not to follow too close and certainly do not speed. My truck/trailer combination has never felt out of control. I have not obtained the width permit as Florida is somewhat laxed on that law due to all the center consoles at 9'+ beam. I would also recomend an aluminum trailer to minimize overall weight. Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey
I am thinking of selling the 382 or trading it on a late model 350SS. The mrs wants to go back to a more cruiser style boat and I want to keep her happy (and boating with me.)
This sale popped up faster than I expected. I still have to sell one before our next purchase.
I'm with you on keeping my bride with me boating. That factor brought me to Formula so it is a good thing.
What makes you choose a 350 over a 400?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
This sale popped up faster than I expected. I still have to sell one before our next purchase.
I'm with you on keeping my bride with me boating. That factor brought me to Formula so it is a good thing.
What makes you choose a 350 over a 400?
A 400 weighs over 16,000 lbs. I still want to be able to tow the boat occasionally and I think it is possible to tow a 350 with my diesel dually. I think I would have to go with a Sportchassis or F650 to tow a 400SS.