Formula

Bilge Paint

Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bilge Paint

Hey guys,

I've got my engines out for a freshen up and am looking to clean up the bilge a bit. It's not "bad" by any means, but the spot right above the notch and the outboard stringers were never really finished by the factory. So to make it look right, I'm assuming I'd have to do most of it over so it all matches.

What I'm not going to do is strip it out and send it somewhere, so I'm looking for a DIY with mabe some sanding for adhesion and from what I have read elsewhere, a roll on product like awl grip. Specific products and part numbers would be a big help.

C Spray, I know you have done this, right Chuck?

A little help please!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

go as nut$ as you want to Dave...

I had excellent results on both Velocitys with bright white Rustoleum thinned with about 10% acetone (no more) brushed out with a quality fine bristle brush and good cure time.
flowed out smooth and glossy (secret of the acetone), no brush marks and cleaned up super easy.
Cured up nice and hard.

degrease and degrease again and again with nothing more than quality dish liquid.
prep and application mean more than the product here
and yes, scuffing the smooth features of the grid in these would be impotant, with a powertool.

The 32's bilge looked as good the day I sold it as the day after I painted it, and you know it got messed and cleaned a few times in 6-7 years!

never lifted anywhere, not easily scuffed, and stayed nice and glossy.

but if anyone thinks they can see and feel the difference between $500 and $50 in the bilge, well... I can't help.

Last edited by Rippem; 03-01-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking at options to paint my bilge also. I read through a lot of threads...this one had most options explained:

http://http://www.offshoreonly.com/f...ndation-3.html

I'm going to try the Rustolium and Valspar hardener this weekend. It is only $30 so I figured I would give it a shot first.

Dean
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by axapowell
Hey guys,

I've got my engines out for a freshen up and am looking to clean up the bilge a bit. It's not "bad" by any means, but the spot right above the notch and the outboard stringers were never really finished by the factory. So to make it look right, I'm assuming I'd have to do most of it over so it all matches.

What I'm not going to do is strip it out and send it somewhere, so I'm looking for a DIY with mabe some sanding for adhesion and from what I have read elsewhere, a roll on product like awl grip. Specific products and part numbers would be a big help.

C Spray, I know you have done this, right Chuck?

A little help please!

Thanks,
Dave
Where are you talking about.........the transom? Post some pics. We painted the transom and the two flat areas on each side (that were already painted). For some reason Chuck painted his whole bilge. It's gelcoat down there.....so it cleans up just like most gelcoat.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Nort,

Yes the area around the transom and the top of the notch, right below the inner transom assembly. Along the stringers is a littlw crappy too.

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned

Nort,

Yes the area around the transom and the top of the notch, right below the inner transom assembly. Along the stringers is a littlw crappy too.

Dave
Pics please! I know you have them!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Where To
VIP Member

I really don't have any shots! Next time I'm up in the garage, I'll try to oblige!

Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
go as nut$ as you want to Dave...

I had excellent results on both Velocitys with bright white Rustoleum thinned with about 10% acetone (no more) brushed out with a quality fine bristle brush and good cure time.
flowed out smooth and glossy (secret of the acetone), no brush marks and cleaned up super easy.
Cured up nice and hard.

degrease and degrease again and again with nothing more than quality dish liquid.
prep and application mean more than the product here
and yes, scuffing the smooth features of the grid in these would be impotant, with a powertool.

The 32's bilge looked as good the day I sold it as the day after I painted it, and you know it got messed and cleaned a few times in 6-7 years!

never lifted anywhere, not easily scuffed, and stayed nice and glossy.

but if anyone thinks they can see and feel the difference between $500 and $50 in the bilge, well... I can't help.

For what it's worth I witnessed this and it worked. Did a few touch ups over the years this same way myself. There are times in life that you can just way overthink chit.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

I really don't have any shots! Next time I'm up in the garage, I'll try to oblige!

Dave
Well Dave!?!?!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrw3
I have been looking at options to paint my bilge also. I read through a lot of threads...this one had most options explained:

http://http://www.offshoreonly.com/f...ndation-3.html

I'm going to try the Rustolium and Valspar hardener this weekend. It is only $30 so I figured I would give it a shot first.

Dean
I went this route also and am apply with it. I used yellow and it was a bit thin with the valspar hardener, so it took about three coats. I have chipped it some pulling a motor back out, but it is very easy to touch up.

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.