fastest single engine Formula hull? >

fastest single engine Formula hull?

Notices
Formula

fastest single engine Formula hull?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 206 ls with 454 bbc and bravo 1. and top speed it is 69mph.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Twin BBC, Nightmare to wrench on? yes, but they plane off at 2400 rpm
I can testify to that...Diego's sweet 272 SR-1 with twin 454/Bravo I's planes as fast as any boat I have ever seen...including outboards!!! The K Planes help but in all honesty his boat is extremely well balanced and has great acceleration...even with all of the weight aft. My 255 with twin SBC's/Bravo I's is about the same but I have 500~750# less iron aft than he does so it's not a fair comparison. We have run Haulover and Government Cut inlets in Miami Beach with BIG swells at the mouth and his 272 boat zips up and down the face of a wave with serious fitness!!

I have been in some very good boats in all sorts of conditions but have to say the 272 SR-1 from the '80's with BBC power is one of the best combinations ever put together...especially when you consider that with no extra weight penalty you could easily have 1000~1100 horsepower in the water with twin BBC's in a 27' boat

As far as bilge access is concerned...any boat with an 8' beam and twin V8's is going to be tight...Big or Small Block. The spread on the BBC's is 34" usually vs. 32~33" on the SBC's so you need to be a starving Ethiopian to pull the inboard plugs on either one. Some boats can handle twins better than others...Formula figured it out.

Because we do coastal and offshore boating in this area twin engines are a "Get you home" insurance policy for those of us that like to venture beyond the horizon. If you're on a land locked lake you really don't need the security of twins...build a balls out Big Block and if it breaks it's no big deal to get back to shore...just a minor inconvenience. If you are serious offshore...twins are a way of life.

Last edited by sprink58; 05-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.