357 sr1 headed to miami!!!! >

357 sr1 headed to miami!!!!

Notices
Formula

357 sr1 headed to miami!!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK...I ran the BAM prop slip and speed calculators and accordingly...figuring 11000# (loaded boat with fuel and two aboard) 24" props, 1.5 gears, stock "X", straight V bottom and 1100 Horsepower...70~71 MPH is a real number at 5200 RPM +/-.

Considering all of the above posts....a bit of focus on fuel quality, prop accuracy (laboratory laser tuning) and a little chop such as 2'-3' seas on the ocean, the Formula 357 SR-1 in question should achieve 70-75 MPH.

In my view I consider all of the factors and appreciate that what we have here is a roomy, solid and comfortable high speed sport boat from the "Pre Step hull" era that will reliably cruise for hours on end at 55-60 MPH with four aboard.

In the real world that translates into the following scenario: Four adults can dock that 357 at Sailfish Marina in North Palm Beach...spend the night at the resort. get up early the next morning, clear Palm Beach Inlet at 6:00 AM and run an hour at 60 MPH to Freeport Grand Bahama. At 7:30 AM these same four people will have cleared Bahamian Customs, tied up at the Grand Lucayan Dock, and be having breakfast...planning their day. They can set out for any number of reefs within 20 miles of Freeport and dive or snorkel...head back to Freeport for an afternoon of bar hoping and shopping, then head back to the boat for some R & R. Around 4:00 they can leave Freeport and decide to head straight back to Palm Beach and clear US Customs by 5:00-5:30 PM after running 60 MPH back across the Gulfstream for an hour...check in at Sailfish...get cleaned up and have dinner and drinks at the Marina as they watch the sun go down. All this on less than a tank of gas on a boat in which there is less than $40K total investment.

Not a bad way to spend a day.

Welcome back "Old 'Bird"...you're home now...spread your wings and fly....
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sprink58; 12-03-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diego9040
Attachment 513545Attachment 513544Attachment 513545Attachment 513544

See the 2 attachments here showing Dyno sheets on one of the engines, it looks like at 5200 rpm we have 578HP and 583lb/Tq so 70mph should be the target with this set up.
if you really need to run a 4 blade prop i would try a pair or 24 pitch revolution 4 blade props,,bravo ones really dont work that well on a straight bottom boat,..they trnd to porpose alot if turning out,,on my boat they liked to ture in and when i turned them out the boat would porpose so bad it about left the water..

Deago,,dont expect too much speed out of this hull,,with the power you have 70 may be tops with the rite prop and the rite conditions..
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
if you really need to run a 4 blade prop i would try a pair or 24 pitch revolution 4 blade props,,bravo ones really dont work that well on a straight bottom boat,..they trnd to porpose alot if turning out,,on my boat they liked to ture in and when i turned them out the boat would porpose so bad it about left the water..

Deago,,dont expect too much speed out of this hull,,with the power you have 70 may be tops with the rite prop and the rite conditions..
Fixx,

Boat is not mine, it is my friend's Pablo... Now I heard great things about revolution 4's and 70 mph would be plenty . Of course we always want more but for now it is ok. As you said before I would love Pablo to try mirage 25+'s to see what we get and then decide which prop to lab.