trim limit switch

Notices
Formula

trim limit switch

Old 08-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trim limit switch

I need to replace both trim limit switchs,how hard is this task,There is plenty corrosion on the wire (wire broken) .I'm open for any suggestion.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how extensive thew damage is the wires could be repaired by cutting out the bad section then soldering new pieces to the existing wires and sealed with heat-shrink tubing and RTV.
Changing the sensor is just a matter of removing the mounting screws and disconnecting the wires.
If the the wires can't be repaired the drive has to be pulled to change wire harne$$.
The trim sensor wasn't working right on mine, an Alpha, found the wires were corroded. Fixed it just like I said but it still doesn't work right, need a new trim sensor.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:06 PM
The Raven

Default Trim "limit" over ride

Hi guys
I had the same problem with my 84 SR1, spend a ton of time and a few Bucks trying to fix it.
As mentioned before you can section the wire, but my guess is if a little is shot the entire thing is BAD.
The limiter is nothing but a cheap rotery switch that prevents you from trimming the drive out more than 6 1/2 inches.
[ measured from the trim cylinder edge to the center of the rear mounting bolt.]
If you trace he wire back to the trim pump you'll find the two wires plug into two other wires, then into the pump. YOU can Jump [ connect] the two together and BINGO you don't need the Limiter.
Just remember not to over trim the drive[s].
I have done this on a mine and few other Boats.
Good luck

Old 08-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for the suggestion.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those things NEVER work. I have the sametrouble on my 272.
I think it is a mercruiser problem, not a formula one. anyway....

I have to use my trailer buttons to trim up. Have to spread my fingers liek palming a basketmball to reach both tailer buttons at the same time. I think I will buy the throttle rockers and bypass the trim limiter.

Aslo. this winter I am going to fabricate and attach digital encoders in place of the trim senders. feed to digital guages for acurate trim indidators. I'll keep you posted on this project.

I'm still looking in the industry for waterproof encoders though.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Rambunctious,
Your idea got me thinking and searching the net for sealed or waterproof encoders. Didn't have much luck either.
What I did learn was the encoders don't read postion while sitting still. They have to be in motion to generate signal.
What I was thinking was an optical scale like those used to read machine position or on CMM measuring machines would work better. It's a graduated scale (similar to a barcode) with an optical reader that sends constant signal to a decoder circuit. If a waterproof model can be found or a waterproof housing made it might be worthwhile looking into.
Heidenhain is the manufacturer that comes to mind.

Just an idea I had.

BTW your PM Mail Box is full. Tried to send this as a PM.