Notices
Formula

Formula Bimini Excursion

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Formula Bimini Excursion

Hey All

Being in the heart of winter here in the NorthEast has got my mind wondering and daydreaming A buddy and I have been feeling adventurous and been tossing around the idea of hauling our boats down to Miami and doing a trip to Bimini in a year maybe 2. Have never been but think it would be a pretty cool vacation. To be on your own boat in the Bahamas for a week, why not right.

We are really at the beginning stages of attempting to plan out this trip. Really just testing the waters, trying to price things out to see when and where the best deals are and really see what others recommend. Also if any others may be interested. So please post away.

We'd like to do 5-7 days. Was leaning towards staying at Bimini Sands, but open to other suggestions based off prior experiences/knowledge. As mentioned we'd be leaving from Miami area. Being our first time making the crossing would like to potentially tag along with another group if possible. However, pretty confident we'd be able to make it on our own.

Any recommendations or info on the following are greatly appreciated

- Safe and Secure Park & Launch
- Best time for gulf stream crossing
- Customs Check in/out
- Preferred Marinas/Resorts in Bimini (Any all inclusives?)
- Places to go/things to do while in Bimini
- Fuel prices in Bimini
- How much beer to pack
- What SPF # to use?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

I might join you guys! that is also on my to do list!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

I think it's on a lot of peoples..HAHA
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys running twin motors?

Just curious :-) Interesting idea.I am already in Miami
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

One twin one single screw. Figured best to use the buddy system when attempting to cross.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will enjoy Freeport more than you will Bimini. It's a "Real" Town to visit with much more to do. From West Palm to Freeport is approximately 60 miles. Ask any native of the Bahamas to compare Freeport to Bimini and your choice will be clear.http://portlucayamarina.com/

Once you get to Grand Bahama Island your boating possibilities are endless. You can go along the coast taking your time...or spend time in West End or Freeport/Lucaya. I have made this crossing a dozen times and continued on to The Abacos for some real adventure.

Living in Palm Beach County we consider The Bahamas our Boating destination as opposed to the Keyes...much closer for us plus the water is nicer.

Last edited by sprink58; 01-14-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

Thanks Sprink.

We'll look into whatever anyone suggests. Goal is to just have a fun relaxing time completely out of our standard norm.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Formula Owners of New Jersey/Pennsylvania in the Bahamas watch out.

I went to Bimini when I was a kid and it was not long after Hurricane Andrew hit and devastated a lot of the island. We took Chalks Airways which was a seaplane running from Ft. Lauderdale and Miami to Bimini. It was pretty uncomfortable to say the least to see how beaten some areas were but walking down Queen's Highway we found what looked like a compound which ended up to be Bimini Big Game Club where Formula use to do the old school photo shoots. We re-arranged our accommodations and stayed there for our stay on Bimini. It is pretty neat to see how much has come back as of late and what direction they are going in. I think it would be a fun run across if planned properly and weather cooperated. Seems like making backup vacay boating plans in case once we get down there, there is no window open for the run we just do some Florida boating. I've boated the west coast of Florida my whole life and love it. Sanibel, Captive, Cape Coral, Port Charlotte, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, Manasota Key, etc. the 26PC has been there. Many times do I scratch my head why I am settled in NJ when you look at my backyard and I have two large palm trees planted and palm trees and pictures of the area framed and hung inside for decorations.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The best thing you can do is make the run with the Florida Powerboat Club, once.

www.flpowerboat.com

Gulfstream is your most important variable. It's best in the dead middle of summer.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also google Bahamas Fling. These are boat trips sponsored by the bahamas tourism bureau. You go over in a group. They have trips to different destinations (or did). Never went but heard good things about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.