Compound, Polish?, Wax...

Notices
Formula

Compound, Polish?, Wax...

Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compound, Polish?, Wax...

Hello all... I plan to hit my 89' 242SS with an electric buffer (first time since I bought it 2 years ago, always hand buffed). To remove slight oxidation and light scratches I planned to cut it with 3M Marine Rubbing Compound and then follow up with Collinite 845 Paste Wax...

My question is the 3M Marine Rubbing Compound is recommending to use the 3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze prior to wax application... Is this a waste of time or only needed for boats that were suffering from severe oxidation?

Also are there any specific tips/warnings when dealing with Imron paint?!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, be very careful on the imron paint. Imron is pretty tough, but its still paint and you can burn right through it.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Yes, be very careful on the imron paint. Imron is pretty tough, but its still paint and you can burn right through it.
+1. I'd try the finesse first, especially on paint.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

The marine compound is for gel, very aggressive and overkill for paint IMO. Find a lighter cut for paint, or skip that and try just the glaze like stated above.

If you simply cut and wax, you will see swirl marks in the sun. The glaze polish phase removes the swirls caused from cutting. I have actually went even another step on both cars and boats. Heavy/light/ glaze/ polish.

Meguiars makes a 2 step in one, which starts heavy then the heat breaks down the polymers to a light cut as you go. I have used it on gel with great results, I would not recommend it on paint.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Forgive me for the ignorance here... but what is the difference between paint and gel? And what would my 89 Formula 242ss have had from the factory?

4 Bus - do you recall the name of the Meguiars product you are referring?

Last edited by DRock; 04-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DRock
Forgive me for the ignorance here... but what is the difference between paint and gel? And what would my 89 Formula 242ss have had from the factory?

4 Bus - do you recall the name of the Meguiars product you are referring?
Gel is very thick compared to paint, extremely thick compared to the paint on your car. Finger nail deep gouges won't make it throught the color of most gel, you can just sand them out. You can pretty much stand on a buffer with a wool pad on gel and not harm it. The heavy cut compound for gel is too agressive for paint, but also contains oils that replenish the gel. Paint compound would not have that.

This is the stuff I prefer for gel, because I have get great results and it is easy on me. This is just my opinion, maybe there is better but this stuff is slick. I have used it on heavy oxidation without sanding. I have sanded with 1200 wet and used this for the next step and it removed the 1200 sand marks. After cutting with heavy pressure speed up the buffer and use lighter pressure on the pad and the polish step kicks in. Neat stuff for gel, a huge no no on paint.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00029...&robot_redir=1
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Glassdave recommended Vitreo products from fountainofyouthrestore.com. Tried them and had good results. This year trying performanceboatcandy.com products and they seem to have worked very well. I don't know yet how they will stand up to the elements. Will know probably by the 4th of July. Lol. The paint and fiberglass forum is a great place to pick up restoration tips! Are you close to Bobtown Pa?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered

No, Bobtown is quite a ways from me... I am in the Philadelphia region on the Delaware River. Thanks for all the tips and advice..

I have decided on 3M Finesse for the Imron, BuffMagic for the gelcoat and then the Collinite 845 for the final wax. I will post my results!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Ever look at Meguires #20 Polymer Sealant over wax? Seals the Gel Coat, more durable than waxes.