Formula 280 SS

Notices
Formula

Formula 280 SS

Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 280 SS

Just sold my Active Thunder Tantrum and I'm looking into purchasing a 280 SS. Are there any current owners on here that could give me some info about these boats?

How do you like the boat?
Do you wish you would have went bigger?
Are these boats hard to come by?
What is the cruising/top speed with the 5.0s and 6.2s?
How are they on gas?
Comfortable overnight?
Any options that are a must?
How was the switch from go-fast to sunsport?

I do my boating on Lake Michigan.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Scope, We are on the MI side of Lake MI (Holland). We went from a PowerQuest 260 go-fast to a Formula 260SS. Our main reason was to get some more cockpit room because we like to hang out without tripping all over each other, and also take additional passengers out with us. The 260 and the 280 have the same cockpit layout and it is very good. The newer models changed to some weird configuration but our 2004 is the best. We have received more compliments on the Formula in the first summer than the whole 6 years that we had the PQ. Ours is a single 6.2 and while its not fast, I had to come to the realization that my PQ was never a "super boat" anyway (like a 38 Cigarette genre). The comfort makes everyone happy and the styling is second to none. The 260 and 280 boats are out there but you might have to travel to get a good one. We picked ours up in St. Clair Shores but the boat actually came from up-state NY. We cruise at around 35-40 but that's mostly because of Lake MI choppy conditions (windward side of the lake). The gas consumption has been about the same as the PQ (had a 7.4 big block) but believe it or not, our 6.2 has a bit more HP. We have done one overnight in Pentwater and it was very comfy (for my wife and I), no issues there. The go-fast boats are cool and fun but the Formula SS boats are the best that you can get, (in my opinion).
Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My brother is selling his. Perfect, fresh water only 123 hrs. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...a-280SS-632681
Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Registered

I have a 330SS, but looked at quite a few 280SS boats when I was 'shopping'. I had a 242 previously

I can answer from a general perspective of 280 & 330 boats, as they are highly similar.

How do you like the boat? It is a party boat, design to hold a bunch of people in comfort
Do you wish you would have went bigger? I did go bigger to the 330
Are these boats hard to come by? No, not at all a dime-a-dozen
What is the cruising/top speed with the 5.0s and 6.2s? Should be in the high 40's to low 50's. The most common engine was the 5.7's
How are they on gas? My 330 burns about 7 gph overall, which is very light. Has a lot to do with how you drive them. Cruising, you will probably get a bit under 2 mpg.
Comfortable overnight? The 280 is a bit tight, the 330 is better
Any options that are a must? Windlass . . . most of the boats came fairly well equipped, not a lot of variation.
How was the switch from go-fast to sunsport? Had to get used to the ride, which is not as soft as the go-fast boats. Needed to trim down in choppier conditions.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scope1407
Just sold my Active Thunder Tantrum and I'm looking into purchasing a 280 SS. Are there any current owners on here that could give me some info about these boats?

How do you like the boat?
Do you wish you would have went bigger?
Are these boats hard to come by?
What is the cruising/top speed with the 5.0s and 6.2s?
How are they on gas?
Comfortable overnight?
Any options that are a must?
How was the switch from go-fast to sunsport?

I do my boating on Lake Michigan.

Thanks!
280 SS with twin 350's/bravo 3's is the way to go, boats are all over the place, they are a awesome boat but I do not think you will want to over nite in one, except for the occasional drunken blunder, they are a great day boat,

that switch from go fast to not is all in what you are wanting to do, IMO if committing to going that way, a 330 SS is not much more money
Old 09-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenfield
I have a 330SS, but looked at quite a few 280SS boats when I was 'shopping'. I had a 242 previously

I can answer from a general perspective of 280 & 330 boats, as they are highly similar.

How do you like the boat? It is a party boat, design to hold a bunch of people in comfort Agree!
Do you wish you would have went bigger? I did go bigger to the 330 Better is usually better, 280 is a great size!
Are these boats hard to come by? No, not at all a dime-a-dozen If you want a POS salt water boat, they are easy. If you want a nice fresh water boat they are hard to come by! I live in MI and settled for a salt water boat, lots of repairs to make it nice!
What is the cruising/top speed with the 5.0s and 6.2s? Should be in the high 40's to low 50's. The most common engine was the 5.7's Agree, the 6.2L versions would be 2-3 mph faster.
How are they on gas? My 330 burns about 7 gph overall, which is very light. Has a lot to do with how you drive them. Cruising, you will probably get a bit under 2 mpg. The twin 5.7"s get about 1.2-1.5MPG at Top speed. Only way to get 7gph is to drive it like a cruiser at cruising speed only. Had a 280 Velocity - it was way better in the dept.
Comfortable overnight? The 280 is a bit tight, the 330 is better
Any options that are a must? Windlass . . . most of the boats came fairly well equipped, not a lot of variation. Agree
How was the switch from go-fast to sunsport? Had to get used to the ride, which is not as soft as the go-fast boats. Needed to trim down in choppier conditions. Agree, but the 280 rides better that the 330.
Commented on the 280 in the above post

Last edited by snowrunner; 09-06-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

DONT DO IT JOHN!!!! lol
Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
DONT DO IT JOHN!!!! lol
haha! How'd you find me over here???

Most of our boating days consisted of cramming 7 people on my AT Tantrum, cruising a few miles, and anchoring for the day to hang out/drink a few. That leans me toward the SS. However, I still have the bug to go fast and participate in fun runs/poker runs.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

HAHA...I thought for a quick minute about going to a 330 SS as my fiance was making the same statement that you just did...BUT...I came back with the statement..I dont but a 60k boat for friends to hang out on..especially when I never get a dime in fuel or maybe pay the $10 launch fee. I buy a boat for the type of boating that I/we like to do. I LOVE doing fun runs and hopefully do a poker run next year. We run our boat almost every time we are out. I have friends that would better off with a pontoon because they unload it, go tie up in party cove and stay there the entire day. One of my buddies has a 280SS with a 454...his top speed is what my cruise speed is and he wont run WFO cause hes cheap and doesnt want to pay for the fuel..haha so we are ALWAYS waiting for him. THE KOOL-AID IS GOOD...haha
Old 09-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scope1407
haha! How'd you find me over here???

Most of our boating days consisted of cramming 7 people on my AT Tantrum, cruising a few miles, and anchoring for the day to hang out/drink a few. That leans me toward the SS. However, I still have the bug to go fast and participate in fun runs/poker runs.
Sounds like u need a 330ss with 496 mags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.