302 - TRS or Kaama?

Notices
Formula

302 - TRS or Kaama?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 302 - TRS or Kaama?

Found a pair of 302s for sale near me. One boat has TRS, one has Kaama drives. All things being equal, which way would you go? My heart says 'tail baby! But I worry about parts and servicability on the Kaamas....
Old 04-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kaama parts are still available. Many of the other parts in a kaama (bearing, seals, etc.) are standard automotive components and can be bought easily. Cases and shafts will be the biggest issue but if you are responsible these will last a long time. I am in the process of converting my TRS boat to kaama's. I bought two complete sets of drives. One set is going on the boat and the other is for spare parts (if I need them)

Oh btw. Rumor on the street is you get 8-10mph with a kaama setup over TRS.

I am sure other kaama lovers (and or haters will chime in)
Old 04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Formula listed the 311 top speed with a 420 TRS setup at 68mph and 74mph with a 425 Kaama which is quite a difference. I see no reason not to go with the Kaamas.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 357 Kamma boat and loved the Kammas. Twin Disc transmissions I recall. Had them rebuilt no problem. Lost a tail fin on one and just ran without it. I would seriously look into replacing the prop shaft seals and input shaft seals before you put too much time into them. Lost a drive when a seal went out on one of mine. Remember, the rubber gets brittle after many years of service. Can't beat the rooster tail, miss that a bunch. I had 502's with prochargers and had it going a little over 70, which is pretty good for a 357. Probably, right around 500 hp each. Good luck
Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Kaama parts are still available. Many of the other parts in a kaama (bearing, seals, etc.) are standard automotive components and can be bought easily. Cases and shafts will be the biggest issue but if you are responsible these will last a long time. I am in the process of converting my TRS boat to kaama's. I bought two complete sets of drives. One set is going on the boat and the other is for spare parts (if I need them)

Oh btw. Rumor on the street is you get 8-10mph with a kaama setup over TRS.

I am sure other kaama lovers (and or haters will chime in)

Kaama boots and some of the parts are expensive and gears are not easy to find, I know which 2 you are looking at, they are both nice
Rooster tails are cool, but I dont know of anyone in the area that can work on KAAMA's
Kaama's stick out quite far and if you have a family, swimming may be challenging
Replacement TRS drives are cheap and parts are still available (unless you talk to a mercruiser guy)
The differwnce in speed should only be about 8 mph with like power, Kaamas will take longer to plane when starting of and slow maneuverability will be harder with Kaama's

If you pop a prop Kaama props are much more expensive than the TRS replacement as there are more available out there
Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

welfare, thanks for the info. Apparently the Kaama boat needs a boot on one of the drives, so that is a consideration. I'm currently waiting on Uncle Sam to return my money to me, so I've got some time to consider. Easy to make an impulse buy I do love the roostertail..... but servicability on a boat this old is definitely a consideration.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a KAAMA boat loved it!!!! if you have any concerns give me a ring or PM me 616-450-0261 Jeremy
Old 04-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Kaama.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Registered

Kaama!

Just make sure to service the u Joints. The ones between the tranny and drive have a down angle and tend to wear. Never had an issue getting parts or props. Had the boat for 20 years and had the drives rebuilt 2 times.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Registered

1986 302 SR-1 425 Kaama's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.