Finally making progress on the 242!! >

Finally making progress on the 242!!

Notices
Formula

Finally making progress on the 242!!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks great TomZ!, I went with the white as well when I redid the lighting last year. Your engine bay is phenomenal, awesome job all around. Hope to see it soon!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 511 Likes on 233 Posts

Looking good boys. Can't wait to see your boats in person this summer.

Chris
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What lights did you use in the cockpit?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 698 Posts

On mine I used a 2W led that was sealed with a convex lense overlay. I removed the sockets from the original Attwood fixtures, and bolted the leds in (the housing is made for installing into panels and is completely weather proof). The light is very bright, and I may install a dimmer on the circuit.

The interior fixtures all use Sylvania led retro for bulbs, and the bilge uses a pair of surface mount 2W (24 led) fixtures. I plan to install a rope light (smd5050, 15-foot strip) along the sides and rear of the bilge. I'll need to measure the wattage of the strip, but with everything running, it'll be far less draw than the original courtesy lighting.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update... I know some of you have seen me on Facebook's Formula Boat Owners section, but I thought I'd update here.

I finally got the boat out last weekend. Overall both days were good. I ran into some ignition issues, and had to be towed back late Saturday (managed to get her started just before the end of the tow, and ran her up on the trailer under power... that was important!), but it was an easy fix allowing me to get back out for Father's Day.

Before the ignition started acting up, we went to the other end of the small bay we like to hang out at (Broad Bay in VB), pointed her into the wind and let the horses loose a little. It got plenty rough, and my buddy had to put the phone away (our only GPS), but not before seeing 66 MPH... we were still picking up speed at a good rate so I'm pretty confident that we hit somewhere around 70. We never went over 48-4900, and she still had a good amount of throttle left.

Sunday, I cruised easy with my girlfriend, had a nice dinner at Chick's to celebrate Father's Day, and our 1 year first date anniversary. We had a nice moonlit cruise back, and the boat did well.

Couple of things... I had some pretty erratic vacuum reading issues going on, and what seemed to be an occasional miss/shake just off idle to about 1500 RPM. I was thinking that maybe the intake manifold was leaking, and sure enough, I got her apart and found that seven out of eight ports had traces of oil (oilly substance on the intake runners, and a little pooling on the intake valves). I also think that the blower attachment bolts at the rear of the blower housing needed some sealant. Anyway, I'll have her all buttoned back up sometime today.

Next things to do... another polishing session, and then some more upholstery work. I have a set of bolsters from a 353 that need to be redone, and those will go in next season.

Cheers!

Last edited by TomZ; 06-25-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: G*d Dam iPhone
Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Got everything back together... She sounds great, but needs the idle mixtures leaned out just a touch.

I used the combination of Hylomar on the Intake ports and Ultra Black RTV on the water ports to get her sealed up. Hoping this works a lot better than before.

Going to change the oil tomorrow and we'll be boating!