"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin

Notices
Formula

"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin

Old 03-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris I am 100% comfortable that I can do the repair as good as anyone as I have a ton of glass experience. I just had hoped not to have to dive into it myself (getting to old for this crap). The guys I talked with are the only guys I feel are qualified to do the job and it was going to mean missing most if not all (more likely all with delays and what not) of the season. Plus this way as I get into it I can adjust accordingly. Hopefully with Daves help along the way since he has done it before it will go quickly and I can get in the water maybe around mid summer.... I don't have the ability to paint so I may have to get some one to do that for me but that is not a huge deal. For now anyhow (will know more when I cut into it) the damage is in the center of the boat, mostly on the port side. So off I go into the realm of itchy itchy joy joy.

Jon
Old 03-29-2016, 05:29 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Since this thread is so long I am going to start a new one for my repair. Hopefully we can keep it clean as possible and just have the procedure that I am doing? We could also change the title to this one as well? Let me know for now I will start a new one. If we think we should I will combine them?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread needs more pics!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Since this thread is so long I am going to start a new one for my repair. Hopefully we can keep it clean as possible and just have the procedure that I am doing? We could also change the title to this one as well? Let me know for now I will start a new one. If we think we should I will combine them?
Jon,
Whatever you want to do...It would be nice to see your issue photos compared to mine within the same thread.

Chris
Old 03-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by D2HP
This thread needs more pics!
As Glassdave gets closer to finishing, promise to get more photos posted. I know Dave has been slammed and has had no time to really sit down and post photos with dialog.

Chris
Old 03-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I could do that but I was thinking a very clean one with the process would be best? I could just put them in both locations! Why don't I do that.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Cracks in the Stringers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553187[/ATTACH]

Plugs in floor we have been talking about

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553188[/ATTACH]

Stress Cracks in floor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553189[/ATTACH]

Starting to cut out the floor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553190[/ATTACH]

Removed the piece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553191[/ATTACH]

Plexus under the floor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553192[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553193[/ATTACH]

Large gaps under the stringers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553194[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553195[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-1-cracks-around-motor-mount.jpg   "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-2-plugs.jpg   "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-3-stress-cracks-floor.jpg  

"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-4-start-cut.jpg   "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-5-piece-removed-between-stringers.jpg   "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-6-plexus-under-removed-piece.jpg  

"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-7-plecus-under-liner.jpg   "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-8-gap-under-center-stringer.jpg   "Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin-9-gap-under-middle-stringer.jpg  

Old 03-30-2016, 12:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Jon yours actually looks a bit worse the Chris' as far as actual bond. If that whole piece came off as one then yours also had bond issues as well as the gap. The Plexus i took out was stuck like crazy (where it was actually at) and i took enough out to literally fill a 35 gallon trash can (although it was fluffy because of the "shaving" method i had to use to remove it. I removed the whole liner inside of the two outboard engine stringers and i mean everything. I actually had to cut most of that flooring (like that piece you cut out) into about two inch squares, some popped right out with no plexus on at all and some fought like crazy lol It was a total structural rebuild of the running surface and i did not think it could be done any other way. 100% of the underlying surface needed to be accessed to properly deal with it, from the rear lip of the cockpit liner where it meets the bilge all the way to the transom needed to be exposed. I will have some time Sunday night to sort through the pics (on two different phones and two different shop cameras lol) and get some stuff up i promise lol. It will shed some light on what we chatted about. Your damage appears identical but maybe with a bit more rough water run time or something but very similar none the less.

looking at the pics your liner looks a bit thinner then Chris' liner as well.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Dave yes I was surprised that the liner was as thin as it was but I think that maybe my bottom does not seem as thin as what you were talking about? Still feels like if it was all bonded together it would have been plenty strong. This boat was run in Lake Winni up in NH so it can get REAL nasty. I have more to cut out, this was just a exploratory hole to see if my theories for the fix were valid. I have to cut back more. I just hope not as far as you did! I will keep going back tell I find good bond again... Just hope that is not the bow! LOL
Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only I had found GlassDave 9 years ago when my Baja took a hit and the insurance didn't cover it.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.