"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin

Notices
Formula

"Chillin The Most" gets a make over - No longer Chillin

Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Would it be completely crazy to fill the gap under that with something like sea-cast or nida-core stringer fill? Yeah it may add some weight but overall i doubt the boat would even notice it and having it pourable would allow it to fill all the nook and crannys under the liner to get a good fill i think....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wally thank you for the idea! See this is what it is all about tossing ideas around! I was trying to think of the Sea Cast product and the name was not coming to me to save my life! Now I have some reading to do. What I really want to find is something that has more work time then pour foam. The short work time i what scares me. I will report back with my research this evening.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thread guys, well written and received, Dave, this is for you as well, thanks guys very good education here which is why I love these forums, even thou sometimes they get turned into a bashing mess
Old 03-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

You mean like this.....:Whatever :....now that's funny S$IT...... hahaha

Chris
Old 03-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Registered

Lol
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris, So sorry to hear about this problem. I know it would be unlikely that formula would do a recall especially because of age but I wonder how the legal system would handle a situation if the boat had come apart at speed and someone had been hurt because of the bad workmanship. Very thankful that didn't happen and you caught it. Im curious whether they would be held accountable. The way our legal system works I would say this is much worse than being burned by hot coffee at McDonalds.

Also If I were Formula I would be very concerned about this since it happened again and was discovered because of this thread. It could be great positive PR twist to notify the public and agree to at least pay a portion of the fix. Somebody could get hurt badly because of this.

Last edited by Nastybug; 03-14-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Hey Chris, So sorry to hear about this problem. I know it would be unlikely that formula would do a recall especially because of age but I wonder how the legal system would handle a situation if the boat had come apart at speed and someone had been hurt because of the bad workmanship. Very thankful that didn't happen and you caught it. Im curious whether they would be held accountable. The way our legal system works I would say this is much worse than being burned by hot coffee at McDonalds.

Also If I were Formula I would be very concerned about this since it happened again and was discovered because of this thread. It could be great positive PR twist to notify the public and agree to at least pay a portion of the fix. Somebody could get hurt badly because of this.
been following this thread and I am not trying to start any issues or any bashing of any kind and I understand the boat in question is older, but what does that have to do with the workmanship issue the boat has?if in fact the issue is what we are told it is.
if badmonkey bought the boat when it was 2-3 years old and discovered the issues, would formula step up and do the right thing? probably,i would think.
so what difference does it make that the boat is now 15 years old?the issue has always been there since day one,we are not talking about a rotten transom or wet stringers that could happen over time,we are talking about a issue with a boat that has to do with the way it was put together when it was been build.
again sorry if you guys think I am bashing Formula ,I am not ,just my thoughts on the situation,and I think Formula builds a great boat and I would not hesitate to buy one, and I know nobody asked for my thoughts,lol

Last edited by boatnt; 03-15-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
been following this thread and I am not trying to start any issues or any bashing of any kind and I understand the boat in question is older, but what does that have to do with the workmanship issue the boat has?if in fact the issue is what we are told it is.
if badmonkey bought the boat when it was 2-3 years old and discovered the issues, would formula step up and do the right thing? probably,i would think.
so what difference does it make that the boat is now 15 years old?the issue has always been there since day one,we are not talking about a rotten transom or wet stringers that could happen over time,we are talking about a issue with a boat that has to do with the way it was put together when it was been build.
again sorry if you guys think I am bashing Formula ,I am not ,just my thoughts on the situation,and I know nobody asked for my thoughts,lol
Boatnt,

No bashing at all IMO....I couldn't agree with you more considering we are the ones having to spend all the money to repair a boat that all would think nothing like this would happen. Yes, Formula missed the boat (no pun intended) on the quality control. Should they get involved and do something...as far as I am concerned YES....will they????TBD. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is what sharing this thread was all about... public awareness, educational, informational, etc.etc....

Chris
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Nastybug

I am not an expert on structural fiberglass, but it is a little extreme to think that this could cause hurt to anyone. I have seen boats delaminate in several races and poker runs (never a Formula btw) and no one was hurt. I would think knowing the place where this is happening, there is plenty of structural support and in my opinion, would not cause a catostrophic failure. Again, please don't make this into something it is not.

Respectfully,
Dave
Old 03-15-2016, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
I am not an expert on structural fiberglass, but it is a little extreme to think that this could cause hurt to anyone. I have seen boats delaminate in several races and poker runs (never a Formula btw) and no one was hurt. I would think knowing the place where this is happening, there is plenty of structural support and in my opinion, would not cause a catostrophic failure. Again, please don't make this into something it is not.

Respectfully,
Dave
Hey Dave, Was not trying to do that. Sorry if it came across that way. I think Formula makes one of the best boats on the market. I have never had an experience with this before. My friends have owned several and they are beautiful and built well. Nobody is perfect and it just sounds like Formula missed something. I would not want my family running across 3 to 4 footers at 85 mph knowing this situation exists. It would scare me. If You are the knowledgeable one here I would agree with your take on the situation. Once again I think formula could spin this in a positive way but thats me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.