Distant Thunder gets new power..

Notices
Formula

Distant Thunder gets new power..

Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
823 rwhp, 899 rwtq through a 4L80E and an unlocked converter.

LOL. No. I don't care what Hot Rod magazine says.
I am even more in love with Clunker with those numbers. I have the LQ4 in my Sierra 1500. I put a LQ4 with a 78MM On3 turbo in a neighbors 1996 Impala SS a few years back but he changed his lifestyle and sold the car before we finished it, the engine setup is now in a '71 Chevelle up North somewhere. .

1200 HP for 1 pass maybe. =)

And thanks to everyone for their input, All the parts that are listed on the OP are now on their way to the house and I can't wait to post up some final numbers in a couple weeks. All my buddies boats are now coming out of hibernation, I hope to be completed before April 15th.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

823 rwhp, 899 rwtq through a 4L80E and an unlocked converter.

LOL. No. I don't care what Hot Rod magazine says.

That's pretty much in the range of 950 at the crank! Nice! Care to share the set-up?

And yes, I generally take what Hot Rod mag says with a grain of salt... those west coast dynos sure put out some numbers! With that said, I've seen some guys make ridiculous power on the stock components. For what I want to do it won't take much. The biggest challenge will be with the suspension. It's marginal now... works... but can be stupid scary!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
That's pretty much in the range of 950 at the crank! Nice! Care to share the set-up?
Sorry that I took your thread off topic DistantThunder. I'll post this last one to answer the question, and if anyone wants to know more about the Turbo Clunker, feel free to PM me.

Forged LQ9, 370 cubic inch, CNC ported LSA heads, LJMS turbo grind cam, Holley Hi-Ram, 120 lb/hr injectors, billet Borg Warner S480, Holley Dominator, E85 pump gas, home built turbo kit. All fab and tuning done by me.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Sorry that I took your thread off topic DistantThunder. I'll post this last one to answer the question, and if anyone wants to know more about the Turbo Clunker, feel free to PM me.

Forged LQ9, 370 cubic inch, CNC ported LSA heads, LJMS turbo grind cam, Holley Hi-Ram, 120 lb/hr injectors, billet Borg Warner S480, Holley Dominator, E85 pump gas, home built turbo kit. All fab and tuning done by me.
You're fine brother, although your dyno numbers may shadow my numbers when the engine is complete. LOL no worries. The rest of my parts are scheduled to arrive today. I hope to be on the dyno in 3 weeks. If anyone has any tips or tricks that I need to definitely pay attention to during reassembly, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to miss any boating time due to negligence during reassembly.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you post some dyno vids! I'm in big block withdrawal.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Registered

Make sure you post some dyno vids! I'm in big block withdrawal.
Will do, I am hoping I don't misplace anything during our move next week that is going to set me back. We close on our first home on Monday. Fun stuff.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Registered

Block, Crank, and Heads will be done at the end of this week. Then time for reassembly. We were supposed to close on the new house today but that got moved until tomorrow. That being said, I am headed out of the house as I type this to go to Delaware to pick up a 1988 Stingray Maxim 222SS for my cousin. Hopefully it is as clean as the guy says. I will post pictures of the machine work when I get the parts.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Registered

Well, everything is back from the machine shop but the Diamond Pistons turned out to be slightly damaged once we got them cleaned up, I am going with SRP-212135 Pistons for the build now..

http://www.jegs.com/i/SRP/867/212135/10002/-1

Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
Registered

Just to provide an update, behind schedule due to the rainy weather we've been seeing here in Maryland but I made some progress on the build nonetheless. The plan now is to rig it back into the engine bay on Tuesday Evening, mount/service the outdrive on Wednesday and water test on Thursday. The boat races in Cambridge, MD are this weekend so I am cutting it a bit close. I was able to clean up the engine bay wiring and routing over the weekend to eliminate a lot of subpar work that previous owners did. Here is a couple pictures of the new engine before the accessories and everything were mounted. I have a couple bolts to pick up this evening and then mount a few more things and she will be ready for Tuesday. I am anxious to say the least as everything is coming together. I am hoping for a successful commissioning and years of reliable fun with this setup. I will post some results and more pictures this weekend. If anyone happens to know belt P/N's off the cuff, let me know. I left the old belts at home this morning and was planning on picking them up today. I am running a crossover so its not the standard P/N.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I haven't run that cam, but it looks about where you want to be. It looks like it has 2 degrees of advance ground in, I would advance it 2 more (4 degrees) if you have an adjustable timing set. What is your compression ratio?

I would also keep the up idle up above 1000 when in gear, and if idling at the dock, bump it up some too. Check for any reversion, but with the SM manifolds you should be fine.
Mr Maine, what is the reasoning of advancing it 2 more degrees? I do have the adjustable timing set for this build and already installed it at 0 on the gear. Should I take it back apart and move it up to 2* Advanced?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.