05 292 Fastech Prop Question

Notices
Formula

05 292 Fastech Prop Question

Old 09-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 292 Fastech Prop Question

Have an 05 292 fastech with 6.2 mpi's. The boat has mercury racing bravo 1 4 blade 28 pitch props on it now. It takes the boat a little bit to plane out and has a good amount of bow rise. I run the tabs all the way down coming out of the hole. Also the boat porpoises quite a bit until about 50 before it will go away. I have tried running the trim and tabs in all sorts of combinations and cant get it to seem to stop. The only the way I can get it to go away is running the tabs all the way down with the drives all the way in. The lake I am on can get pretty rough so this is not ideal. I really don't want to go down to a 26 pitch which will probably solve this issue as I don't want to sacrifice the top end as the boat only runs about 70-72. Just trying to see what you guys have done to fix this issue or what can be done to correct this. Can the current blades be reworked or is there a better prop for this boat. Any input would be much appreciated. Also the boat seems to run 5,000-5,100 rpm. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure there are many on this forum who are more qualified to comment on your issue. I purchased an '08 292 w/6.2's. Having come from the tournament boat world, it was hard to get used to the sluggish performance out of the hole. I had to work the throttles and coax it along under 2500 RPM or the props would break loose. It had the stock 28p Bravo 1's. I could get about 70 at 5000 on a 90 degree day, 1/2 tank fuel, 2 people. (I weigh 300, so maybe 3 people). I am at 300 ft elevation.
After reading this forum quite a bit, I tried to get through to BBlades, but they are tough to get a hold of. I didn't really want to drop to 26's, but decided to anyway. I am very pleased with the results. Out of the hole performance has improved drastically. I can pretty much lean on the throttles without slippage. I do not use the tabs. Surprisingly, I only lost about 1 mph. I have seen 69 on a 90 degree+ day, same load. I do not seem to have the porpoising issues you do.
The boat has captain's call exhaust, and the only modification to the boat, is the baffles have been removed from the pipes. For my situation, I think I made a good choice and don't have any regrets up to this point.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone says they don't want to lose top end but how often are you really running at 70-72 mph. The hulls are all the same, and above 60 the boat feels squirrely enough and the bow dances like its doing a 2 step. 2 biggest improvements I've made to my 292 was dropping down to 26s and installing the 16" Bennett tab plates. I'm getting a better hole shot and I can now keep the boat on plane at 25-26 mph. I would have gone with k-planes but just didn't have the coin for it.