353 Deck/Hull bond? Anyone have a loose rub-rail

Notices
Formula

353 Deck/Hull bond? Anyone have a loose rub-rail

Old 11-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Personally I would be VERY upset if Formula did not take care of this, especially knowing there is a problem with it... attaching your deck back to the hull should not be part of a regular maintenance program... the boat should not come apart like that.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish, likely as many others do.

Percentage wise, if you search for owners of 382/353's you'll find 10-15 have realized they have the problem. If you figure only a few owners are regulars on here, I bet 50-80% of the boats built have the problem. Mine had nearly 0 adhesion, it's likely the material was already partially cured prior to the deck being mated to the hull.

I would agree that it should be covered, I looked at a boat in my area that had major deck cracks in the middle of the boat - not sure if it's the same cause but????

Anyway, Formula is helping us out and loaning the gun and providing cheap pricing on the Plexus. Many likely would think a better gesture, for the $100-150, for them to provide the materials as a courtesy - Understanding many of the boats are nearing the 15-20 yr mark that have the issue. However, that that likely would be grounds for a major legal issue as it would indicate a design defect and could evolve into a recall (if the US had a governing body - the old GM ignition switch issue shows what could happen if a major defect was identified).

At this point I
Old 11-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I get it, I guess if it got to the point of a recall so be it, some guys spent ALOT of money especially new for a quality boat, I get stress cracks and loose cabin stuff if you are in rough water a lot... but no way the deck joint should be "the owners fix"

good luck guys, I have a buddy that has to deal with it also... blows my mind what I saw.

Originally Posted by snowrunner
I wish, likely as many others do.

Percentage wise, if you search for owners of 382/353's you'll find 10-15 have realized they have the problem. If you figure only a few owners are regulars on here, I bet 50-80% of the boats built have the problem. Mine had nearly 0 adhesion, it's likely the material was already partially cured prior to the deck being mated to the hull.

I would agree that it should be covered, I looked at a boat in my area that had major deck cracks in the middle of the boat - not sure if it's the same cause but????

Anyway, Formula is helping us out and loaning the gun and providing cheap pricing on the Plexus. Many likely would think a better gesture, for the $100-150, for them to provide the materials as a courtesy - Understanding many of the boats are nearing the 15-20 yr mark that have the issue. However, that that likely would be grounds for a major legal issue as it would indicate a design defect and could evolve into a recall (if the US had a governing body - the old GM ignition switch issue shows what could happen if a major defect was identified).

At this point I
Old 11-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Registered

I agree, not happy this is a problem. There are ways they can get around the legal issue, just need to be creative.

I love Cigs too, my buddy bought a new 35 Mistress in 04. Was great until 05 and 06 when the lowers broke off in consecutive seasons. Turned out the bolts used in the spacers were too short, $45K later neither Cig nor Merc took ownership.

I had good dealings with Velocity back in the early 2000's. But, they didn't stand behind my cabin interior that fell apart the same year I bought it. I was able to buy the parts to fix the issues.

Apparently once we buy a boat, we are not to expect the manufactures take any ownership for any defects. So, at this point I'm just happy to get any support possible.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

yea that's messed up... Merc should have taken care of that if it was a new buy especially..

Originally Posted by snowrunner
I agree, not happy this is a problem. There are ways they can get around the legal issue, just need to be creative.

I love Cigs too, my buddy bought a new 35 Mistress in 04. Was great until 05 and 06 when the lowers broke off in consecutive seasons. Turned out the bolts used in the spacers were too short, $45K later neither Cig nor Merc took ownership.

I had good dealings with Velocity back in the early 2000's. But, they didn't stand behind my cabin interior that fell apart the same year I bought it. I was able to buy the parts to fix the issues.

Apparently once we buy a boat, we are not to expect the manufactures take any ownership for any defects. So, at this point I'm just happy to get any support possible.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Registered

If there is one company that makes gets my blood boiling it's - MERC! They amaze me at how nothing is ever their fault. They must have the best legal team in the world - LOL.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I would read Norts original post. It has rants but it has good information also. I am a second formula owner now. Great Boat! The hull deck issue is a easy fix in the scope of things.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Registered

I agree, this should be fairly simple but from what I've gathered the point everyone agrees on is this should never happen. If there would be thru bolts every 18 inches, I couldn't have been concerned at all. The fact that there is 14 ft of the boat without any fastener or bond is extremely scary (it's 1/3 of the length of the boat and at its weakest section - just image if 1/3 of the welds alog the side our your car broke at the same time)). Beyond the bond though, the paint on my rub rail, hull and deck are all damaged from the movement of the rub-rail. I found that in certain areas the rail chafed thru the gel.

In my case I can't blame anyone but myself, as I didn't get the boat surveyed (hoist kept all its life - who would have thought a Formula would have had this happening anyway as I regarded them as one of the best out there). I'm just glad I caught it now and not in season, I'm due for paint in the next year or two so its not terrible, but it did change my opinion on how well my boat is built and designed. I'm planning on re-bonding it next week so I can put her away for the season and get working on the interior, that is now sitting in the pole barn - Lol.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

One thing to look forward to is a really solid hull when you finish up. All 5 of us here on the west coast with 382's noticed a big difference in the hull/ride after rebonding. There is a video in norts thread with a plunge cutter I used to clean out the old plex. Really worked great and not much $$.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fossil they call that a muti master or multi tool. Fien makes the most popular one but there are many copies at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.