No more 292 Fastech from Formula >

No more 292 Fastech from Formula

Notices
Formula

No more 292 Fastech from Formula

Old 08-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you wonder why people are buying up anything with outboards at an alarming rate? These new 4 stroke outboards are pretty much bulletproof.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont wonder at all. I have 4 stroke outboards. I love the fuel efficiency and reliability. Take the styling of a go fast, combined with 4 400r mercs on the back and you would have yourself a fine machine that is easy to work on.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Registered

Just sold mine last week because it is just not fun being the only performance boat it seems on the water. We used it less and less and I heard that they where going to stop production soon. To me that drops the value of that model. If it isn't available as a new model people will be concerned about parts.

We will miss it but it was the perfect time to let it go. It sold in 24hrs!....
Old 08-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Registered

Congrats on the sale. I've tossed the idea around myself lately, but I just don't know what I would get to replace her. Formula's hold their value pretty well. They haven't make SR1s in over 20 years they still pull a pretty penny. I do love my 292, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't want to be in anything smaller in the waters I boat. I can overnight on her if needed. Whether in Atlantic City for the weekend or island hopping in Florida during the winter, just what we need for the 2 of us. She's trailerable without needing a semi to haul her around and she'll be paid off in a year or two. Looking forward to boating without a payment, just means I can afford more fuel.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by blckkat
I'm no boat designer, and I'm sure it's not as easy as I'm imagining, but I still could never figure out why they don't just use the existing fastech molds and create a new center console deck for them and start churning out some beautiful go-fast center consoles. You know they'd come up with something special and killer. feels like they saw the center console as a fad and hoped to just wait out the storm.....I think they may have misjudged and sat on the sidelines way too long.
Around 2010 or so, 2 years after buying a 350SS, I talked to Scott Porter at the St Louis boat show, inquiring if they are considering using the 350SS, 370SS or 400SS hulls to come out with a CC. The SS hulls would be more practical as a starting point for a CC since you have the beam needed for a 35-40 foot CC. The 8'3" beam of the fastek would present some issues with width. The answer was just a laugh and "we will never do that". The fastek market was already in deep decline by then, and their bread and butter was the SS line. I'm sure nobody foresaw the explosion in the Verado market that was coming at that point. About that same time we all know what NorTech did, followed a couple years later by Sunsation and others.

The SS line is still pretty popular, at least at LOTO, but I don't see their approach to entering the outboard market as a wildly successful one. We certainly don't see a lot of SS boats running around with 4 Verados hanging off the back, so I'm not sure that market approach is going to be a home run for them. It always makes me think back to that discussion with Scott, and how he so decisively dismissed the idea. It makes me wonder what Formula output would be now had they considered a CC. We all know their quality. IMO they could have been a, or THE prime player in that market. I still wish they would do it. Although I can attest to one thing, my 34 NorTech totally smokes the rough water ride of a 350 or 370SS. And does it without one creak or grown, which I cannot say for the 350SS.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 472 Posts

I've wondered why Formula (and maybe Sea Ray) are not pursuing the CC market, ^^^ even Chris Craft are doing it.
As mentioned above, the fastech line are probably too narrow to compete with space for entertaining and also for the keen fisherman. CC's are generally wider beam, higher freeboard, big flared bow and set up for outboards.

Formula build quality boats and they are missing out on a big part of the market by not moving forward with CC's. I guess they know a lot more than I do but to quote a little known boat fanatic, "Moving forward is only one small step ahead of barely keeping up".

RR
Old 08-04-2018, 08:55 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Formula has great vision, and they build a top quality product, so what they're doing makes sense. There's no doubt in my mind they will continue to thrive. We'll see a whole lot more design changes; some subtle, some bold, some technology driven, some comfort driven, but many lifestyle driven. The boating and outdoor activity lifestyle continues to evolve, and they are simply adapting, designing and building to meet demand. Think about the vehicles we drive today vs years ago. In April, Ford announced they are dropping sedan production to focus on SUV's, trucks, and the Mustang.

I loved my go fasts, but I love the 370 SS we own today. And in a few more years, I'll probably want a hardtop CC with outboards. The days of crawling around in a bilge where everything is installed with a shoehorn, and requires Cirque de Soleil type acrobatic skills to reach things will come to an end for me one day.

Personally, I'd like to see Formula build a 370 CC with top and outboards, but the CC market is already saturated with builders. That said, if center consoles are as profitable to build as I think they might be (think trucks vs cars), I would not be surprised to see Formula building CC's at some point. Whatever the case, Formula is a great company with a loyal following, so I'm not counting them out just yet.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Am I the only one that hates engines hanging off the back of a transom? Not a fan of outboards... I could care less that I'm the only go fast boat. I honestly find other boats boring and everything is a cookie-cutter design. Jmo.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks292
Wait a minute, they're putting cats on boats now?!?!?!?!
the catalyst systems have been in marine gas side since 2006 and in 2008 California with CARB was mandated for 500 hp and below engines and then in 2010 the rest of the USA EPA mandated catalyst for all 500 below inboards and I/O and Jet power non outboard apps. Its federal law. This is nothing new.

Yamaha outboards have a cat outboard made way back in 2001 Have no idea where it went or what happened to it.

Last edited by BUP; 08-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

and for the record outboards break everyday. The verado itself has so many SB 's thru out the years for issues and updates plus currently the 400 r breaks propshafts all the time.

One can not over come the fuel issues that all marine engines experience overtime at some point in their life span regardless. I/O or outboard..

The cost of a 400 hp outboard is about 1.25 to 1.5 times higher than a 400 I/O with catalyst system - ..

And the big one --- owners of outboards do not have the vast experience nor the tools to fix them nor can one run down to the auto parts store to buy parts. No Jegs buying for those. The boat dealers and manu of outboards are loving that end of it by leaps and bounds taking the do it yourselfer out of the mix completely..

Also Once an outboard powerhead lets go - one can not take it down to their local hot rod shop and have that machine work done either,

Very limited for outboards what one can do with them for anything. 10 years from now these current outboards will have issues that everyone will be talking about and then *****ing they can not fix them or get them fixed. Mark my words.

When outboards require cats when that day ever comes, --- that will be a game changer for their sales. IMO outboards are way over priced and too many systems that will fail down the road especially if a catalyst is mandated.

Last edited by BUP; 08-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.