1989 272 Sr1 k plane indicator

Notices
Formula

1989 272 Sr1 k plane indicator

Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 1989 272 Sr1 k plane indicator

So I have a 1989 272 Sr1. I obviously didn’t buy this new. But I feel like I got gipped. My boat doesn’t have docking lights which I wish it did. And it doesn’t have k plane indicators on the dash. Can I add k plane indicators on my dash. What would be involved in doing this. Has anyone done this before? Complete parts list would be great. Would love for it to be formula parts so it would be genuine but I guess it doesn’t have to be. Just would like a indication of where they are. Also if people have done it before what’s all involoved. Is this a easy add on or a pain in the aft. This is my first offshore style boat and I wanna make sure I’m enjoying it to its fullest. Still trying to get the hang of it all. Thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2018, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

The 272 is the the entry level for the SR1 offshore models, and were not equipped with Keikhaefer K-planes (I believe they were optional?). If your boat did not come with K-planes then you have Bennett trim tabs (they’re made of stainless steel plate, and are powered by a small hydraulic pump). You can add indicators for the Bennett tabs, but it isn’t going to be cheap. These tabs probably aren’t very useful on your size of boat, and other than maybe helping you get on plane, I’d run them up and leave them.

Regarding the docking lights... IMO the docking lights throw off the look of the lines of the hull. My 311 didn’t come with them, and I’m glad! If you really want them, I’m sure you can locate a set to install. The wiring is already in the boat. You’ll need the appropriate circuit breakers to finish the install if you’re going for a factory look (the breakers are the hardest parts to find).

I really wouldn’t sweat either of these minor things. Go enjoy your new boat!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered

It has the k planes not the trim tabs.

I would love love to enjoy the boat. Boat it last July been on it about 6 times. Has been at the shop since May this year due to one motor not being winterized properly by the shop I took it too. I won’t gwt into that. Lol
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

If the boat has K-planes then it should have the indicators. Are the indicator cables attached to them? Sounds to me like someone may have added them to the boat, but didn’t set up the indicators.

Can you get sone pics of the transom and dash?

Old 08-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Registered

I will work on that today. I’m sorry I’m really new to these style boats. I’ve always wanted one and no that I got one I feel like I know nothing. I grew up on bow riders and fishing boats. So something this big is a whole another game to me. I don’t understand somethings and the knplanes are one thing I’m trying to learn more about how to trim and use them and everything. I’ve had it where I’ve felt like it was going to tip to one side because of the adjustments and had to slow down and re start. But I guess one day I will figure it out. And yes I will get pictures and post them in a few hours when I head to the shop.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
If the boat has K-planes then it should have the indicators. Are the indicator cables attached to them? Sounds to me like someone may have added them to the boat, but didn’t set up the indicators.

Can you get sone pics of the transom and dash?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Registered

So above the throttle controls are the trim switches along with k plane switches. The hole has been filled with a Ken wood radio remote and next to the gauges is trim gauges and a new depth finder gauge. Because the old one failed. That pic was a older pic that I found. The other transom pics were taken today. I’d really like to take those off and “freshen” them up some how. Again not sure how to do that
Old 08-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Someone definitely added those.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Registered

Really!?!?!?!

I wouldve figured they were factory because of the switches and everything on the dash.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The switches are factory. As Tom stated above that boat more than likely came with bennet tabs and the amount of sealant I see oozed out from behind those k planes. Someone added them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.