What’s it worth? 1990 242ss >

What’s it worth? 1990 242ss

Notices
Formula

What’s it worth? 1990 242ss

Old 09-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

So how much water in the bilge? Did you find the source of the leak?
3400 rpm max, if timing it's a lot more than a degree or two.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There was water in the bilge. Can’t tell where it’s coming from. Only seemed like about a gallon but I really want to find where it’s coming from. Season will be winding down here shortly so I think I’ll pull the drive and see what I can find. Bellows seemed good but I want to replace them and all hoses as I don’t know how old they are. I put Teflon tape on the plug this last trip so that wasn’t it. I know sometimes it can be hard to find. Could it be anything behind the swim platform? Anything behind there besides exhaust to look for?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Registered

What I would determine first if I were troubleshooting this.
Do you get water while it is just sitting at the dock
Does it leak water while sitting at the dock with engine running
Or does it leak only while underway?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Registered

That’s one of my problems. The dock I launch from is always crazy busy so can’t sit there long. Kind of have to get in and get out. Hopefully with season winding down I can put it in and leave it at the dock for a bit so I can do those tests. I figure if I can sit at the dock for about a half hour could let it sit for 15 minutes without running then 15 with it running to see if that shows anything
Old 09-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i launched my 242ss this spring, I first started it up at the launch, water was in the bilge. So i would shut it off and look for where it was coming from. nothing.

Started back up and immediately started filling back up with water...come to find out, my Raw water pump hose was off...and the location is wonderful on these boats....under the engine. Very hard to see, so i had to lay on the engine (after it cooled down), and hugged the motor to find the hose and reattach it.

if you're leaking from this hose, it would almost be impossible to see from up top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skirby12
That’s one of my problems. The dock I launch from is always crazy busy so can’t sit there long. Kind of have to get in and get out. Hopefully with season winding down I can put it in and leave it at the dock for a bit so I can do those tests. I figure if I can sit at the dock for about a half hour could let it sit for 15 minutes without running then 15 with it running to see if that shows anything
I doubt 15 min will tell you anything, unless it is literally pouring into the bilge. Is there only 1 marina in your area and you could go to the water after work (even after dark), insert bilge plug, untie your stern straps, dunk your fenders and float back of boat off of trailer for an hour or two even leave the drive in the "up" position (DO NOT START) if you have a bellows leak this usually makes it worse. Order a pizza and relax. and keep an eye on the bilge for water. This is a great time to replace fuel filter, I know you did but you just ran tank dry, also replace filter in carb and check carb float levels.do cabin maintenance whatever to kill time. Pull boat remove plug and further check for water.
If no leaks try again tomorrow same procedure but drive DOWN and run engine for 30-45 min to test if motor causes leaks.
Now you know where to start looking closer.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

How much does the rpm change after trimming up? Are the trim tabs up as well? Is the flame arestor clean? It still sounds like the timing is retarded.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Registered

Hi ph1971. The trim tabs are up. I did mess around with trim to see if it changed but best result was when they were up. Spark arrest or is also clean. I need to get my hands on an advance timing light because I also believe it’s going to be the timing. The motor itself is running great just not getting all the rpms out of it. Hopefully will have an answer soon
Old 09-18-2018, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 425 Likes on 252 Posts

If you think your timing is that far off to affect your performance that much I wouldn't be running it until you checked it. You can cause a lot of damage($$$) with to much timing as well as to little timing. You can damage the valves, seats and guides with to little timing. You are creating a lot of heat in the exhaust port and manifold and the fuel did not have enough time to burn in the cylinder.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Registered

So yesterday I replaced the ignition module back to the original v8-24. Put a new set of wires and bought an advance timing light. When I went to time the engine the mark was bouncing all over the place so couldn’t set the timing. Didn’t have this problem with the last timing light I used. Was hoping to go for a good run to see if I could get the rpms up. Guess there’s always next year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.