Can this mpi be used with a Alpha drive >

Can this mpi be used with a Alpha drive

Notices
Formula

Can this mpi be used with a Alpha drive

Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If your doing an engine swap why not go big block?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneckcustoms13
If your doing an engine swap why not go big block?
The alpha leg. I feel even behind the 350 mag it will hold up better than if I went big block.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
Thanks. If I were to put that in front of a alpha any idea on hooking up the shift interupt? Could it be as easy as tapping into the coil power?
Probably not, the ECM does the interruption of spark. In the pic, note the white wire coming from the switch. The motor came off a bravo, then most likely the ECM has not be set to recognize the switch. To test get it running on a stand and place a switch (NC) in the White wire coming from the EST distributor. At idle cause the switch to open real quick to see if it causes the motor to stumble. If it does then it might work, but also check for codes after it stumbles

Your motor is top left

Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Registered

Unfortunately I can not try that on the engine, it is in another state. Can the ecm be reprogrammed ? If so, who does this?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
Unfortunately I can not try that on the engine, it is in another state. Can the ecm be reprogrammed ? If so, who does this?
Yes, the MEFI can be reprogrammed and suggest contacting Bob at OBD Diagnostics. He has been repairing/programming these things for many years and is usually available to discuss issues.

https://obd2allinone.com/
Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Registered

Thank you.

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Yes, the MEFI can be reprogrammed and suggest contacting Bob at OBD Diagnostics. He has been repairing/programming these things for many years and is usually available to discuss issues.

https://obd2allinone.com/
Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

White, if you continue down your current path you MUST destroy AND do an "Off Site Disposa"l of ALL hard toe shoes/boots!!
You bought a 242LS it is a PIG with a sbc and efi is a PAIN in the ass.
Shop wisely and bite the bullet, get a later model Bravo and a carb BBC.
I have purchased several late model Bravo drives for under $1,000 including a sweptback Bravo X for $ 400. You need to know what you are looking at and what you need and keep looking. Good clean Bravo transom assemblies can be had for $ 1,000 and under complete. 2 ea 1/2" drill holes for mounting is all that is required to swap Alpha/Bravo (sell alpha)
Keep an eye out for a good carbed BBC and you can keep your shoes! There are a few 242 die hards here that will help you, some have already chined in.
Bottom line is it is highly unlikely you will be happy with the overall performance going the path you are headed. Any direction you decide to go I know the Formula group here will do you right and assist in any way possible.
Good luck.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Registered

What him said. If youd like I can keep an eye out for a bravo down here. Believe it or not they dont bring much in my area.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Registered

I’ve been looking for a “donor” boat, came across a couple but too far away and too busy at work to make it work. I understand what you are all saying but I really like my EFI. I had a 1997 250 Sundancer for 6 years and it had a 5.7 EFI/ Bravo III and it was bulletproof. It would push that pig to 40+ on the gps and never had a lick if trouble. I REALLY like this 242, especially in 2’ waves, it just glides across them. I guess I would like to tickle 50mph. Nothing is in stone yet, options are all open and you guys will have to help me out I am sure.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Registered

The issue with 50mph is the small block. Hp is hp but tq is what gets you there. A bone stock 330hp 454 will yield low 50s. Most say 54. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that 425hp with a 23p mirage plus put my 242 at 63-64mph all day. I liked it. When I over heated due to an ice bag wrapped around lower unit I figured why not go bigger. Then the domino kicked in. If you can enjoy the boat the way it is for another season or two. Save up for a bravo and rebuilt and modified bb. I would bet you can do this for less than 7k if you look for deals; and can have 60+mph boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.