new shifter controls >

new shifter controls

Notices
Formula

new shifter controls

Old 11-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Unchained

Jim,
I was already out $685 for the Gaffrigs, which came with the neutral safety switch, and another $140 for the shift cables. Doller Marine wanted $720 plus shipping for the same controls and $180 for shift cables. For in-handle trim the price was another $100. And if I remember right, black shifters ran $100 over the white color which is standard. Black was my only logical choice to go with because of the black dash. So as you can see this project can easily break the $1000 mark. I forgot if the extra $100 was for 2 trim buttons or one button that would trim both drives simultaneously. If it were 1 button, that would do no good since both Alpha drives have right hand props and are not counter rotating. For $30 I bought 2 Hardin Marine toggle switches, with toggle boots, from CP Performance. I placed them on either side of the trim tab rockers, just forward of the sticks. I'll get a picture this weekend and try to figure out how to post it.

Old 12-06-2002, 04:44 PM
The Raven

Hey guys
I have a 242 Twin screw alpha also vintage 1984.
I installed Merc "K" dual lever controls, cheaper than the others if you can make a deal. They have the netural safty switches installed. [ yellow wire/red stripe]
For the trim switches you can use three [3] momentary rocker switchs 2 that are single pole double throw [ one for each drive]
power conects to the center, trim pump up/down to the outside poles. To trim both drives at once use a Double throw double momentary rocker switch [ has 6 conections on the underside.]
just jump off the port and starboard trim switches. Power to centers, up/ down to the top and bottom.
Sound funky, but works great with no problems for 3 years.
If you have mech. trim indicators, you can jump out the trim limit switches on the drives and save a mile of wire and BS. just mark the indicators when the drives are out 6" +/- 1/2 inch as merc states [ measured from the back edge of the piston to the center of the piviot stud.
Good luck

Old 12-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Raven , where did you pick up the merc k shifter ,I only need single engine. any web site? thanks
Old 12-08-2002, 10:36 AM
The Raven

Default Dual lever

I got mine from
Davesons Metro power in far rockaway long island.
They are carried by most well stocked Merc dealers.
They work great, have netural safty switches . The cables I used are Morse 33 c, with merc adaptors on the engine side. Came with a templet for the cut out good instructions, they are Back lighted. just a nice addition.
Good luck
be safe
have fun