Notices
Formula

311 Engine Upgrades

Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratty206ls
Hopefully if you weld to the bolt it doesn’t weaken it to point of braking when you start cranking on it.if you can grind the head off will it leave enough to grab on to
I’m not using the heads so if the bolt breaks, at least I can get my header off. It’s between two header tubes... really tight.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Redneckcustoms13
If you can post a picture of this dreaded work area, we may be able offer some brainstorming. I've had good luck heating with a torch and dabbing it with beeswax.
Many bolts have broken heads. Weld a nut to the remaining stud to get it off once engine is out.

Any way to get a die grinder in there to take the head off? Be it a small cut off wheel used sideways and grind it a little at a time, or even a burr bit.
I have it soaking in Aero Kroil. This stuff is supposed to creep into everything. I actually had the idea using my hoist to try picking up the other end of the header to make the header break the bolt free. Hoping the penetrant will work. I’ll hammer a socket onto it tomorrow to give it another go.

Welding a nut won’t work. It’ll need to be a bolt. There is very little clearance between the bolt and the header tube.

I might be able to get my die grinder in there. My angle grinder won’t touch it.

I’ll grab a pic in the morning.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

If it is that far gone just grind a flat spot on the head or what is left and center punch it really good, drill the head and it will pop loose.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That was also on the list to try.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

TomZ,

I have some sockets that have something like a tapered reverse thread chisel. (Not sure how to describe it) As it tightens on it pulls the bolt / nut in farther and tighter. I used it on most of the bolts and studs on a 68 Vette I was building. The Vette was from up north, needless to say A LOT of rust. I live in Fredericksburg and it looks like you are in VA Beach. I could meet you in to Tappahannock if you want to borrow them.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by waterplay
TomZ,

I have some sockets that have something like a tapered reverse thread chisel. (Not sure how to describe it) As it tightens on it pulls the bolt / nut in farther and tighter. I used it on most of the bolts and studs on a 68 Vette I was building. The Vette was from up north, needless to say A LOT of rust. I live in Fredericksburg and it looks like you are in VA Beach. I could meet you in to Tappahannock if you want to borrow them.
Appreciate the offer but I managed to get it.

Kroil did not work so I had to really dig into this to see what I could figure out.

I started off with my air cutoff tool that was just a little too big to fit. It helped to get started but I nicked a header tube so I had to look at other stuff. Digging through my tools. I had forgotten that I had a Dremmel cutoff wheel set with its own shaft. Surprisingly, it fit within the chuck on my straight grinder. The wheel took the head right off. I then switched to stone to dig into the bolt shaft until I could see the line around shaft. Tapped the header and it fell right into my hands.

Now we’re getting somewhere!
The following 2 users liked this post by TomZ:
SB (09-16-2020), waterplay (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

What headers/tailpipe setup are you using?
Old 09-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smoke eater
What headers/tailpipe setup are you using?
CMI E-Tops with CMI to the transom tails.Heavy system... I understand now why they might have cracking issues with the Merc-spec'd exhaust systems.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
CMI E-Tops with CMI to the transom tails.Heavy system... I understand now why they might have cracking issues with the Merc-spec'd exhaust systems.
sure looks pretty!!! We’re the tails custom made or was it something they had. I noticed I had a hard time finding anything for trs. Trying to do some ahead of the time research for my hopefully future boat.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smoke eater
sure looks pretty!!! We’re the tails custom made or was it something they had. I noticed I had a hard time finding anything for trs. Trying to do some ahead of the time research for my hopefully future boat.
Looking at the paperwork (from memory) I believe the tailpipes were custom made for the boat. I can take pics and measurements if that would be helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.