Full hydraulic steering install questions

Notices
Formula

Full hydraulic steering install questions

Old 08-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Wow, that setup looks boss. I agree - this is how it should have come factory... I keep flipping between just replacing my helm/cable/actuator vs. full hydro, mostly due to price, but also install hassle. Should have done it when I had my engines out last winter, but was already tapped $$.
I'm tired of the free play and always feeling like I'm moving the wheel left/right just to keep the boat strait.
im in the same boat. Literally lol. There’s so many little upgrades that I want to do. Would love to do steering that’s on the top part of the list. I just know it’ll make it more enjoyable. One day I’ll do it.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I run the Latham marine setup and love its fit and finish.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks292
Call Ron at IMCO Nevada and tell him what boat you have and the drive centerline and he'll tell you exactly what kit you need. I installed full helm to stern from IMCO and couldn't be happier!

Hey, I'm trying to copy your setup, and I think I have all the parts inside and out picked. Did you install a tilt helm? Where did you mount the steering resiovour? Does anyone make a nice mount that would bolt up to the exhaust elbow like OMC oil filters did? What was your center-line between drives? I need to measure mine. Boat comes home the 1st. Where did you mount the filter? Did you do your own lines?

Anything I should be aware of before installing? Can you purge without starting the engine? I plan to winterize the engines before taking this on due to the way my shop is setup winterizing it later will be a hassle.

any help appreciated! thanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Correction

Originally Posted by Ratty206ls
Yep the 242 sr1 with twin small blocks and the 272 sr1 with big blocks are bad a$$ boats. Swim platform actually makes it 29’ if it’s still there . 272 or 292 would be my next choice for waters I boat in.
fyi. They did put small blocks in the sr272. And pleanty of different combos.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Correction

Originally Posted by Ratty206ls
Yep the 242 sr1 with twin small blocks and the 272 sr1 with big blocks are bad a$$ boats. Swim platform actually makes it 29’ if it’s still there . 272 or 292 would be my next choice for waters I boat in.
fyi. They did put small blocks in the sr272. And pleanty of different combos.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, I'm trying to copy your setup, and I think I have all the parts inside and out picked. Did you install a tilt helm? Where did you mount the steering resiovour? Does anyone make a nice mount that would bolt up to the exhaust elbow like OMC oil filters did? What was your center-line between drives? I need to measure mine. Boat comes home the 1st. Where did you mount the filter? Did you do your own lines?

Anything I should be aware of before installing? Can you purge without starting the engine? I plan to winterize the engines before taking this on due to the way my shop is setup winterizing it later will be a hassle.

I purged mine without starting the motor. I had my son keep spinning the wheel while I filled the reservoir. Then when it would not turn any more, I filled the reservoir and had him spin the wheel the other way until the steering stopped or got much harder. Keeping reservoir filled, had my son spin reservoir other way again.... did not consume much this time as line was already filled. Had reservoir filled, Then I disconnected the line at the one ram. Had my son give it some quick rotations and watched air come out, then reattached as he spun in slowly. Repeated the process on other ram after filling reservoir. Then repeated that process in other direction. On the other line to the rams. Started boat up on hose.... no leaks and all worked. Took boat out to use.... worked like a charm....

The following 2 users liked this post by MyIsland:
lokipk (11-22-2020), SabrToothSqrl (09-28-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '89 272 and am considering this exact setup. What was the final cost$$$ if anyone wants to say please

thanks
Pk
Old 11-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by lokipk
I have an '89 272 and am considering this exact setup. What was the final cost$$$ if anyone wants to say please

thanks
Pk
I did the IMCO Uni Mount, same as Frank292.

Materials: $4400 + steering wheel + misc. I did the fixed 15 degree helm.

100% imco other than the wheel. I think the price of some of the parts has gone up since I ordered.
I got 5% cash back from discover via paypal as well. if you have discover. (cap is $1500, so it's like $75 back I think), but hey, $75 is $75 bucks.

I assume you have twin bravos, and an existing tie bar?

IMCO Uni Mount Steering Install - 292 FasTech

is my full install info.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 242 Posts

I did my own IMCO Steering a few years back. Made it a completely different boat, it is not hard, just takes a lot of patience, time and thought. I attached a couple of pics to show how it is laid out and the finished product. Routing the internal parts was the only real PITA> Follow their instructions and you will love the results.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

if you take the power steering belt off you can put a allen socket in a drill and spin the pump. have someone turn the wheel while you spin the pump and it will prime the system there is no need to remove hoses to purge the system. the fluid will be very aerated but it will go back to normal..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.