trailer switch

Notices
Formula

trailer switch

Old 11-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trailer switch

Is there a reason why my trailer rocker switches won't lower the drives? I have a 1999 330SS w/bravos, and the only way to lower the drives is with the trim button on the throttle. I didn't think much about it, until my buddy said WTF? He claims that the trailer rocker switches should raise and lower the drives. Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Normally the trailer switch will raise and lower, but if the lower side of the switch is not connected then it will not. So long as it raises the drive fully then no biggy so far as my thought. Have never tried to lower the drives with the trailer switch my self, but that's just me maybe
Old 11-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Normally the trailer switch will raise and lower, but if the lower side of the switch is not connected then it will not. So long as it raises the drive fully then no biggy so far as my thought. Have never tried to lower the drives with the trailer switch my self, but that's just me maybe
I never paid it much attention, until I blew a trim hose off of the manifold, early in the season. It wasn't critical where I boat, but I spent the season thinking it would be nice to raise the working drive, if I had to.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Registered

Scratching my head now
1st post
Is there a reason why my trailer rocker switches won't lower the drives?
3rd post
would be nice to raise
Old 11-08-2020, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

My trailer switch doesn't work either direction if the drives are too low. not until they get almost to the limit of the trim switch will the trailer switches work for me... then I can use trailer to go past the stop of the trim limit switch for trailering. i don't think down works on it if it's too low...

My older OMC didn't have separate switches.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I’ve never seen them connected in a formula to lower the drives
Old 11-09-2020, 06:14 AM
Registered

I was wondering if it was a Formula thing. My 1988 223 with a single had a push to trailer button, so it wouldn't lower it either. Does anybody kno if the rocker switches can be wired to lower the drives also. They look identical to the trim tab switches. Thanks to all
Old 11-09-2020, 07:13 AM
Registered

Does anybody kno if the rocker switches can be wired to lower the drives also.
So long as the switch has a connection for down, then Yes

The purple/white or Red would be connected to the green/white (up), it just needs another connection to go to the blue/white

Last edited by AllDodge; 11-09-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 311 SR1 (1989) has two trim in/out switches, and a single trailer in/out switch that will move both drives up and down with key on or key off. My understanding is that the trailer button should NOT work with the key on, don't know why mine does and I really wish that it didn't - as we think that someone used the trailer out switch and raised the drives past the limit stop switch while under power and it blew up a U-joint. Something that wouldn't have happened if the trailer button didn't work with key on like it should (I'll be repairing that next season immediately).

To answer your question though, yes my trailer in button would move both drives down/in - UNLESS the drives were uneven by a few inches or more. In that case, you would have to sort of "reset" them by holding both trim buttons down or "in" until both drives lowered all the way (full trim down).
Old 11-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Registered

My understanding is that the trailer button should NOT work with the key on,
The trim pump main power is connected at the starter post, so no way to turn power off without modifying the connection

Not talking about Formula's auto trim type wiring, just what is in previous pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.