292 Fastech refurbishment thread

Notices
Formula

292 Fastech refurbishment thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HerdOfTurtles
I'm a couple months of ownership into my 292 so I'm watching this thread like a hawk.

Adding full hydraulic steering is definitely on my hot list of upgrades - past 55 mph in any kind of waves and it gets kinda dangerous, small waves it's ok. If I find wet, but not rotten wood in the transom when it's time to install I think I'll try to dry out the transom and fix the leak first before totally redoing it. Drill a bunch of holes on the inside of the transom and stuff moisture wicks into the holes, then run a dehumidifier in the bilge for a month. Seal the holes with penetrating epoxy etc after.

I know one thing: if I spend the amount of time working on the boat you are spending I'll be looking at divorce!
I hope no one else has to go through what im going through (with the transom),, but this is the reality of powerboating. I had a 27ft scarab before this, i lost about $15k on because it was rotted from the transom to the helm and I had no clue until the engines almost bounced out! Ive learned alot about boats since then.. Luckily im a single man with no children and have the luxury of time, better now than later when I might not! I love this boat and im willing to do the work and spend the money to keep it/make it 100%. I want to show the boat being brought back to what its supposed to be (in my eyes) and even better. Also for everyone else to enjoy the process and maybe even learn from it or get some ideas. I didnt think I would have to do all this work this soon but the boat is also approaching 20 years old.

As for the transom,, Biggest thing for me is Im not afraid to run it in rough conditions, sometimes you dont have a choice on Lake Michigan! It could be glass when you leave the marina and then 3-5 footers a couple hours later on the way back. And knowing that the Transom had been compromised really didn't sit well with me, Especially hitting Big waves/wakes during poker runs. I looked at it as more of a safety hazard knowing that one day, it would eventually be rotten and the transom would flex like a wet noodle. I thought about drying it out but just decided to just pony up and have it replaced this winter.

Hydraulic steering is a MUST on these boats. Before I did the upgrade the boat was terrifying over 60 mph. I recommend the kit from IMCO. The quality is amazing and the customer service is also top notch.

Should have an update for everyone in a few days... but in the meantime, check out the new steps/cupholders I got for the back seat!

The following 3 users liked this post by Franks292:
4mulafastech (12-09-2020), Eddienel (12-02-2020), Helmwurst (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

While you are doing all of this, it doesn’t feel like you will ever be done. At the end you won’t ever look back. I went thru all of this three years ago and I have no regrets. My boat is better than new and yours will be too. Good luck and I can’t wait to see it going back together
The following 2 users liked this post by ph1971:
BBYSTWY (09-29-2022), Franks292 (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Impressive work...keep it up! (subscribed)
The following users liked this post:
Franks292 (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:49 AM
Registered

Sketching some new ideas for exhaust since I will be going dry to tip or completely dry. Thinking about doing something unique since I will have the old holes filled.

Kinda going for a staggered boat style echaust look from the outside.

For example
Old 12-03-2020, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks neat, not sure if the effort/reward is worth it, but that's up to you.
The 292 has those engines packed in tight!

On that photo, the port outlets, are not always the port engine, sometimes they cross.

https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jp...cury-35--1.jpg

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...-27-03-045.jpg

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 12-03-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Well... if you already removed everything... and the transom is bad... what about a bracket some twin Mercury 350s hanging off the back?

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2020...ck-in-business

That would be killer. then your old engine bay would be actual useful storage on a 292!
and no more broken hands/arms/legs from the engine bay...

just throwin' it out there lol.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Well... if you already removed everything... and the transom is bad... what about a bracket some twin Mercury 350s hanging off the back?

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2020...ck-in-business

That would be killer. then your old engine bay would be actual useful storage on a 292!
and no more broken hands/arms/legs from the engine bay...

just throwin' it out there lol.
Not a fan of outboards on Go-fast, but wouldnt mind a 30ft CC for partying with twin 400's on the back.

As for the exhaust crossing over, I just want the cool look of the pipes angled towards eachother with the staggered close together look on the outside, just to kinda change it up since I'm changing the tails. Most likely gonna mock them up myself and cut everything and bring it to a local welding friend for the finished product (rather than spend 6k on tails just to risk them not fitting right).
Old 12-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get the step/cupholders? They are badass. Would like to have them for my 382!!
Old 12-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Registered

To everyone interested in the cupholders. I got them from a gentleman on facebook named Jason Grinarml. He is very friendly and professional and ships fast! I could ask him if he's on OSO.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Best of luck with your project!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.