Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
New to me 311 question. Water under step. >

New to me 311 question. Water under step.

Notices
Formula

New to me 311 question. Water under step.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New to me 311 question. Water under step.

Hi guys. Took my new to me 311 out for the 1st run today. All went well. When I got home to flush engines I noticed quite a bit of water in the bilge. Noticed bilge pump had no float so switched on manually. Have to fix that. Also noticed water under step in cuddy but no plug so shop vacced it out. I’m assuming water from the bilge could make its way up to under the step from sloshing around? Nothing is rotted. But I want to keep it nice and dry. After shop vaccing under step about 10 minutes more water was under step so I’m assuming water must have gotten further towards the bow and working it’s way back to the step. Has anyone else had this happen and if so what’s the best way to dry it out completely? Hopefully once I figure out why the bilge had water in it That will help with drying the other compartments out. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post
Old 06-20-2021, 08:25 PM
Registered

I actually found a lot of info on this subject when I did a google search. When I used the search bar here nothing popped up so I think I have my answer and will be checking out some things to hopefully dry her out once and for all
The following 2 users liked this post by Skirby12:
distantthunder (06-21-2021), SabrToothSqrl (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Skirby12
I actually found a lot of info on this subject when I did a google search. When I used the search bar here nothing popped up so I think I have my answer and will be checking out some things to hopefully dry her out once and for all
check the windshield gasket, I’m not sure about the 311 but my 357 has a second pump under the step. My 292 and 223 had a drain line to the engine bilge.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:37 PM
Registered

Thank you. There is no 2nd pump or drain back to the bilge. I’ve just been vaccing it out.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My 311 does not have a drain back to the bilge or a pump either. I just vacuum it out as well.

I have yet to determine where the water comes from. I did seal up bottom side of my windshield under the alum. And then tightened the screws down. Still noted water in.

I noticed that the area under the step is fiberglassed and on the side of the area that collects water has weird holes/spaces in the fiberglass where the water seems to pulpit in from. So if you vacuum the water out, you come back later the water comes from these “openings”. If you put your vacuum to the opening you will suck water. It’s like there is a sandwiched layer of fiberglass that acts as a drain and collects water from somewhere and runs back down that wall.

Anyway.... an observation.

id love to know the true way to stop that water from coming in.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Registered

In my case I think the water came from the bilge. Not positive but I jacked the trailer up really high so any water can travel towards the stern. I have vacced out the area under the step a few times and the water that finds it’s way back there is getting less and less. I’ve only owned the boat for a week and a half so I’m learning a lot from people on here. From what I’ve heard checking the windshield and sealing the windshield screws. Also check the hatches to see if they are leaking. Water can enter the cabin area from the cabin door as it’s not completely water tight. These are some of the ways I’ve heard water can get in. Also someone said the deck joint behind the rub rail could be another way but most common is windshield
Old 06-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

TomZ may have some valuable 311 input, I believe he keeps his in good order.
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (06-29-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:00 PM
Registered

I’ve chatted with him a bit on Facebook messenger. He seems to know his stuff and sounds like he has a nice 311
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (06-29-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 07:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

If parked and on a trailer, keep the bow of the boat extemely high compared to stern. Do not keep it level on the trailer. Took care of my water problems. I also found the plug to the the bilge under the step and removed it. Of course make sure drain plug is out when parked.

Last edited by 97FASTech; 06-24-2021 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 06-24-2021, 07:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check inside near rub rail thats where my water came in just forward of the windshield.waterlogged floor is no fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.