Formula 242 which flavor? >

Formula 242 which flavor?

Notices

Formula 242 which flavor?

Old 12-14-2021, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Formula 242 which flavor?

Interested in a 242. Really like the styling and the hull design, sort of the classic look and a the quality of formula lends itself to something to keep around. I've found a few twin 350's with alphas and more then a few single 454/bravo setup. I've also found a few projects.... Not sure what route to go...

Would like to be able to have a top end of 65-70 ideally but find settling closer to the 65 mark to start...

Trying to keep the total boat price around 20-22.

Boating in NC at the lake most of the time but would trailer out to the sound/ ocean in outerbanks occasionally. Would like to head south to Florida once in a blue moon and a few other road trips.

Having an f150 I'd rather stick with a 242 over a 271 bird.

Trying to figure a bit long term... To run the speed I want.it seems I need to be in the 500-550hp range. Twin 350's in new condition would get me to about 520. Running alpha drives. But there's obviously the headache and cost associated with upgrading them when I know I'll eventually want to. Seems like a set of stainless marine exhaust manifolds runs about 3k a piece. That's not doing anything else. While the motors are pulled i'd prob try and make a 383 out of them and a few small other upgrades. But then I worry about the drives.

Getting the 454 option by itself I'd already be under powered for the speed I want. There's the blower route and all the accessories and obvious costs associated with that route. Ease of working around the big single is a plus though and less maintenance etc etc.

I'm leaning towards the twins just based on where I'll be boating, I'm already in the speed range I'd be happy with to start, and the sexy factor of twins I just get can't out of my head. Just wondering if I'm just I'm looking at this objectively. Go for a cheaper boat and do a built big block up front? Or go with a more expensive boat in my price range and go for the twin sbc's.

Side note, wife and two kids under 7 for family size reference.

Last edited by CharlieWhiskey85; 12-14-2021 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (12-19-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85 View Post
Interested in a 242. Really like the styling and the hull design, sort of the classic look and a the quality of formula lends itself to something to keep around. I've found a few twin 350's with alphas and more then a few single 454/bravo setup. I've also found a few projects.... Not sure what route to go...

Would like to be able to have a top end of 65-70 ideally but find settling closer to the 65 mark to start...

Trying to keep the total boat price around 20-22.

Boating in NC at the lake most of the time but would trailer out to the sound/ ocean in outerbanks occasionally. Would like to head south to Florida once in a blue moon and a few other road trips.

Having an f150 I'd rather stick with a 242 over a 271 bird.

Trying to figure a bit long term... To run the speed I want.it seems I need to be in the 500-550hp range. Twin 350's in new condition would get me to about 520. Running alpha drives. But there's obviously the headache and cost associated with upgrading them when I know I'll eventually want to. Seems like a set of stainless marine exhaust manifolds runs about 3k a piece. That's not doing anything else. While the motors are pulled i'd prob try and make a 383 out of them and a few small other upgrades. But then I worry about the drives.

Getting the 454 option by itself I'd already be under powered for the speed I want. There's the blower route and all the accessories and obvious costs associated with that route. Ease of working around the big single is a plus though and less maintenance etc etc.

I'm leaning towards the twins just based on where I'll be boating, I'm already in the speed range I'd be happy with to start, and the sexy factor of twins I just get can't out of my head. Just wondering if I'm just I'm looking at this objectively. Go for a cheaper boat and do a built big block up front? Or go with a more expensive boat in my price range and go for the twin sbc's.

Side note, wife and two kids under 7 for family size reference.
If you are only looking at the Formula 242, then I would definitely go the SR-1 route. That boat with twins handles very nice. It is a bit stern heavy for the size with twins but she will get up to 63-65mph with about 1ft of chop. I had an Ď87 242 SR-1 with the twin 350 mags which I believe were 265/270hp each. Boat had the silent thunder (which I am a fan off on these boats for the look and sound) and the wrap around windshield. May particular boat had captains chairs vs bolsters and had a bit more room to move around in the cockpit. If the boat you look at does not have the independent shift and throttles, you need to upgrade to them, as it makes it very easy to manuver around dock.

the one notable thing with the boat and size with twins was the prop/torque steer. Definilty need need to make the one alpha a counter rotating.

I pulled that boat with a 90 Chevy half ton regular cab 6ft bed. The truck hauled it great. I moved from central NY to Ohio and hauled the boat with truck. The only issue I had hauling is that the truck was too short for the boat..... coming down hill boat pushed truck and I had a bit of wobble.

Excellent boat for the size and unique and a head turner.

Once you go twins, I donít think you ever go back.

Hope that helps,
Chris
Old 12-15-2021, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

271 and 242 are roughly the same size and if u end up going with a twin 242 then ur deff gonna be heavier than a 271 since they only came with singles. Just touching on your towing statement so you can make an educated decision. From then on u should be deciding between the twin sbc's redundancy and easier docking which are faster initially at the expense of planing speed and handling vs single bbc with easier maint, space, towing, cost, and more aftermarket marine support.

Each has its own Merritt. My advice to you is to get the cleanest driest boat you can afford. Good luck
Twin O/B Sonic (12-19-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MyIsland View Post
If you are only looking at the Formula 242, then I would definitely go the SR-1 route. That boat with twins handles very nice. It is a bit stern heavy for the size with twins but she will get up to 63-65mph with about 1ft of chop. I had an Ď87 242 SR-1 with the twin 350 mags which I believe were 265/270hp each. Boat had the silent thunder (which I am a fan off on these boats for the look and sound) and the wrap around windshield. May particular boat had captains chairs vs bolsters and had a bit more room to move around in the cockpit. If the boat you look at does not have the independent shift and throttles, you need to upgrade to them, as it makes it very easy to manuver around dock.

the one notable thing with the boat and size with twins was the prop/torque steer. Definilty need need to make the one alpha a counter rotating.

I pulled that boat with a 90 Chevy half ton regular cab 6ft bed. The truck hauled it great. I moved from central NY to Ohio and hauled the boat with truck. The only issue I had hauling is that the truck was too short for the boat..... coming down hill boat pushed truck and I had a bit of wobble.

Excellent boat for the size and unique and a head turner.

Once you go twins, I donít think you ever go back.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Thanks! Yea, one of the ones I found is counter rotating but no tie bar so that would be the first thing is add. Agree as well with the throttle upgrade. I'd almost like to find one with captains chairs vs bolsters just so we can spin them around and hang out when anchored off somewhere hanging out. Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-16-2021, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLAD View Post
271 and 242 are roughly the same size and if u end up going with a twin 242 then ur deff gonna be heavier than a 271 since they only came with singles. Just touching on your towing statement so you can make an educated decision. From then on u should be deciding between the twin sbc's redundancy and easier docking which are faster initially at the expense of planing speed and handling vs single bbc with easier maint, space, towing, cost, and more aftermarket marine support.

Each has its own Merritt. My advice to you is to get the cleanest driest boat you can afford. Good luck

Thanks! Most of the 271's I've seen have all been twin BBC's and pushing the tow capacity for a 1/2 ton. I think a single 271 would be quite a slug unless it's putting down some upgraded power. I know the formulas are built like a tank and have the weight to prove it.

I'm surprised how many formulas are for sale up in the northeast vs the rest of the country. I don't mind driving for the right boat. Found an interesting one in Wyoming too, but a bit out of what I'd like to spend. Keeping an eye on it though.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I think you might be referring to a 272? I don’t believe they built a 271 with twins. I have a 242 that came with a 502 and that is barely enough power for the boat. 600 hp is really what the hull needs to achieve its potential. I have SS model that affords a little more room in the cockpit and a lounge seat that the wife loves. Good luck with your search.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 973 Likes on 393 Posts

Iím a huge fan of what your shopping for and have come close a couple times.

Theyre killer boats but heavy meaning youíll need every HP you can get to be close to your performance target.
The positive on the weight thing is they are killer in rough water, for their style/size.

I am a master at towing w/marginal tow pigs and a good 1/2 ton should do it if youíre not towing through the mountains.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85 View Post
Thanks! Most of the 271's I've seen have all been twin BBC's and pushing the tow capacity for a 1/2 ton. I think a single 271 would be quite a slug unless it's putting down some upgraded power. I know the formulas are built like a tank and have the weight to prove it.

I'm surprised how many formulas are for sale up in the northeast vs the rest of the country. I don't mind driving for the right boat. Found an interesting one in Wyoming too, but a bit out of what I'd like to spend. Keeping an eye on it though.
sounds like your confusing 271's and 272's. Comp diff boats. 271 only came singles and are the newer design with the platform built into the hull. 272's are the same generation design as 242's and came with either twin sbc or twin bbc. 242=271 272=292 old vs new gen hull designs
Old 12-21-2021, 10:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLAD View Post
sounds like your confusing 271's and 272's. Comp diff boats. 271 only came singles and are the newer design with the platform built into the hull. 272's are the same generation design as 242's and came with either twin sbc or twin bbc. 242=271 272=292 old vs new gen hull designs

You are correct sir I did have them mixed up in my head, sorry about that.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 834 Likes on 460 Posts

A single engine 242 with an HP 500 502 should run close to 70 (67-68 or so) depending on how in tune it is.

Working on the single engine boat will be much easier. The two small blocks in a 242 are pretty tight plus you have two of everything that can break. In this sized boat, the single engine is preferred (in my opinion).

If you can find one with bolsters, Iíd grab that over the captain chairs. The bolsters really make you feel planted in the boat. Mine had captains chairs and I never felt secure in it after its power was upgraded (I had a blown 454 in mine).

Great boats for their size. Be mindful of stringers, bulkheads, and the transom. The grind under the subfloor can hold water. Itís is not fully glassed inside and the wood will eventually rot. 271s do not suffer as much though transoms can still be an issue.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by TomZ; 12-23-2021 at 09:04 PM.
CharlieWhiskey85 (12-25-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.