Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS >

Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS

Notices
Formula

Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS

Old 04-02-2022, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 69 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the Formula Family! The 242 is a great hull that handles amazing for a boat that size. I’m confident you will love it. What a great first boat!

With the price you got it for, you can afford to put a little TLC in her and still be sitting good with it.

If you don’t have one, get a good 7” polisher and some compound and polish. You would be surprised with how well you can make it look with some elbow work. I would use sno bol toilet bowl cleaner to get the yellow out of the undersides of the hull first…….I know guys use many other types of acid, but sno bol is what I use and works amazingly well…..there are threads on here covering all this stuff.

Upon looking at pic, it looks as if you may not have the Silent Thunder……I don’t see the rectangular holes that the exhaust exits out of. Look in the engine compartment and see if the exhaust goes straight out the transom or if you have a “y” pipe for the exhaust to go out below the waterline. My transom was damaged from the exhaust leaking out of my platform and you may not have that problem to worry about. Also looking at pic it seems you do have a bravo one outdrive. It will be a great drive for your power and setup.

Good luck, have fun playing around with it and reach out if you need anything, there is a ton of knowledge and help here, I have benefited a bunch from these guys!

We boated the finger lakes years ago and absolutely loved it and would like to go back someday…….beautiful area! Maybe a good spot for a Formula 242 rendezvous someday?

The following users liked this post:
Stickboy (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes we have the Bravo One. Happy to hear it is a good one!
Each side of my exhaust goes down and both curve to meet in the middle at the bottom of the transom. So, no Silent Thunder rot worries? Looking outside at the back I am wondering where it comes out? Apologies for the blue tint in the photos. Under the winter cover.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:09 AM
Registered

And here is the naked interior.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Registered

Would love to have some 242 buddies join us here on the lake! If you like wineries, breweries, distilleries and hiking this is the place for you!
The following users liked this post:
Noles1 (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice boat, will be real nice with new interior and the hull cleaned up.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

So it looks like it is a standard thru-the-prop exhaust...which is fine...you just won't hear that big block rumble, which some actually like. There's a clean slate there to work with insofar as the interior goes, you can make a nice example of a vintage boat if done right. To me, THAT is one of the coolest things, to have an older boat that makes people go, "Whoa! It's how old? No way!"
Noles1 (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy
Yes we have the Bravo One. Happy to hear it is a good one!
Each side of my exhaust goes down and both curve to meet in the middle at the bottom of the transom. So, no Silent Thunder rot worries? Looking outside at the back I am wondering where it comes out? Apologies for the blue tint in the photos. Under the winter cover.

As bajaman said, your exhaust will exit through 2 holes in bottom of transom assembly and through prop.

My ST platform rotted and allowed exhaust to get trapped between boat and transom which damaged transom requiring repair......you’ve probably seen my current thread on repairing that. Yours shouldn’t have any water to rot it out and for sure no exhaust to do any damage.