Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS >

Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS

Notices

Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS

Old 04-02-2022, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bought a 1987 Formula 242 LS

Hello, everyone - Wife and I purchased our first boat ever. A 1987 Formula 242 LS with a 454. Lots of work to be done! The pics below are from Fall 2021 when it first arrived. THE GOOD: It is gorgeous and I love the way it looks. Transom and stringers appear to be OK. THE BAD: Lots and lots of scratches on the hull; over a thousand hours on the engine (which seems to run fine); interior and exterior were torn, dirty and waterlogged so we tore everything out and are getting them re-covered; not all gauges work; overall everything is just a bit beat up or worn with age. It is a 35 year old boat, after all!

The following 3 users liked this post by Stickboy:
CharlieWhiskey85 (04-02-2022), Noles1 (04-02-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 07:36 AM
Registered

If folks are wondering, we paid $7,500.00 for the boat and trailer and that included the seller driving 150 miles to deliver it to us. Included 12 life jackets, good fire extinguishers, flare gun, safety flag, two new replacement gauges in their boxes, anchor, three bumpers, and a Garmin Striker 4, etc. Trailer has a new spare and tire dates are all within a few years.

The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 07:38 AM
Registered

We will be boating on Cayuga Lake here in Central NY. Below is our backyard (pic from last summer) with the lake in the background. This year we have access to a covered boat lift about 20 minutes away. So, no excuse to not get on the lake after work and on weekends!

GLENAMY 242SS (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks awesome man! As long as it runs fine you shouldn't be to worried about the hour count. If you are concerned it might be useful to do a compression check. Assuming since it's an 87 it has an alpha drive? Have you pulled the drive and inspected it yet?

Overall a great deal for sure and she will clean up nice! Excited to see the interior and gauges when you start putting it back together! Glad to have another 242 owner on OSO!
Twin O/B Sonic (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 985 Likes on 399 Posts

One of my favorite things to do is buy a Diamond in the rough and then polish it to see what you have!
The following 3 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
CharlieWhiskey85 (04-02-2022), masi242 (04-14-2022), Noles1 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies! A compression check and drive inspection are on the to-do list for sure. Interesting to note that the engine hatch/sunpad was not even physically attached to the boat at all. It was so waterlogged and heavy it stayed on because of the weight. We needed a forklift to get it off the boat.

QUESTION: Any recommendations for a motorized engine hatch lift system? We have the button on the dash but absolutely no equipment for it.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

That’s a good looking boat. Great view. Great to be 20 mins from some good water.

hey.... does the exhaust come through the platform? Did not see the tips on it.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:41 PM
Registered

So I understand the exhaust is the "Silent Thunder." I believe it vents into the swim platform which also fills with water so it keeps it quiet. Every other post I read says I should immediately take it off and replace it with a regular exhaust and a standard metal swim platform. Supposed to rot the transom??? I will learn more this Spring.
CharlieWhiskey85 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy View Post
So I understand the exhaust is the "Silent Thunder." I believe it vents into the swim platform which also fills with water so it keeps it quiet. Every other post I read says I should immediately take it off and replace it with a regular exhaust and a standard metal swim platform. Supposed to rot the transom??? I will learn more this Spring.
It's not a death sentence. Just something to keep in mind. The weight of the platform can pull on the bolts that are thru bolted and water can get in. If the transom is solid it's not a must do at this second if you have other priorities.

For the ram, you'll just need something along these lines:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...UaAsoyEALw_wcB
Old 04-02-2022, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy View Post
yes, what you say is correct. I have a vintage formula as well.

I was asking because it looked like someone had already removed that platform at one point as there were plates behind the upper rings that hold the platform on. Then I did not think I could see the chrome tips off the Back of the platform.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.