Notices
Formula

353 - First run of 22

Old 04-03-2022, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts
Default 353 - First run of 22

I was able to get out to try 2 props today thanks to them getting docks out on the lake. They pull them in over the winter on these flood control lakes so we all beach our fishing boats all winter…and by beach I mean stuff them in the rocks or on the ramp.

I was trying a new prop to get more rpm…I was only seeing 4950 previously but was also full of people, 2 coolers, water, etc and 90 deg at Shootout. Had speed, just felt it was low on rpm and was optimistic about seeing more speed. I tried the factory installed Maximus 29P vs. Bravo 30P Lab Finished by Merc. Both 15.25”. Water was pretty flat, boat was 100% full on fuel (doh!)

29P Maximus 84.5 mph 5200 rpm (83.8 into wind)

30P Bravo Lab Finish 85.9 mph 5500 rpm (84.2 into wind)

Interestingly enough the boat planes way faster on the bravo. The Maximus is really slow to plane but fine for me, the Bravo shot on plane with little throttle. I’m wondering if some of this has to do with the DTS programming as it felt like I could blow through the bravo if I wanted to, but I can pin the throttles on the Maximus and the throttle never opens, never slips, just slow and gradual to plane. Feels like ecu has stuff going on more so than the prop itself.

Maximus Cruises 4 mph faster at 3000 rpm…I expected a bigger difference. Not much loss in midrange.

Top end was legitimately 1 mph different. I wish I had spent more time on the Maximus I really only made a short run and maybe could have matched the Bravo. I was anxious to try it and sort of expected 3mph gain. Docking was the same, negligible. It felt like the Maximus accelerated harder 40-80 but I didn’t time it…wish I did.

I think I may stick to the Maximus, or send them out to have them cut down like a Max 5 to give that a try.

Slow I know 😅 but I like it. Rock solid stable at 85 which is good for a rookie like me. I know this is basic info for as long as the 353 has been around, but there’s some guys reading with later model power that may save their money and skip trying the Bravo props now. The 5 blade just felt a little better on the throttles…hard to explain.

Last edited by DRAG; 04-03-2022 at 09:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DRAG:
Noles1 (04-03-2022), OFFSHOREJOJO (04-04-2022), TomZ (04-04-2022), TylerBurich (07-30-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice you were able to get out yesterday and test. I was hoping to open mine up but it rained all day so i left the shrink wrap on it next Sunday im hoping to open prep engines wax and launch.
The following 2 users liked this post by tony357:
OFFSHOREJOJO (04-04-2022), TomZ (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 136 Likes on 63 Posts

Does it plane with 5 blade the same? 85.9 great job!

Last edited by OFFSHOREJOJO; 04-04-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OFFSHOREJOJO
Does it plane with 5 blade the same? 85.9 great job!
It was a big surprise to me that the 4 blade planes twice as fast. Everything I read said to expect the opposite. I could feel the 4 blade slipping even under 1/2 throttle but it popped the boat right up…really surprised me.

The 5 blade whether I stick the throttles 50% or 100% doesn’t matter, no slip and it comes out pretty slow. I always thought it was the torque management with the DTS, but now not sure since I seemed to have such a different experience with the 4 blade.

past that, I think I like the 5 blade cruising and acceleration. I’m wondering if cutting the 5 down to a max 5 will meet in the middle. That blade profile would be more like the lab finished 4 blade….but 5 blades

Last edited by DRAG; 04-04-2022 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OFFSHOREJOJO (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Shoot if the Bravos perform that well compared to a maximus I think I’d stay with those. Easier on the drives. Once you start custom labbing the props, if one gets damaged, it can be hard to get a replacement to match the other. Is that maximus in the picture labbed? Looks like full diameter and full length tube. I think bravos are actually a hair under 15” diameter.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

I am so jealous. It's only like 45 here in PA.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Speaking from much past experience, stay away from the 5 blades...way too hard on drives...Yes terrific cruising and and great acceleration with 5 blades but over all performance your best bet are the Bravos....
If you ever start barking props in rough water you will be happy you have the 4 blades...unless you are dead on timing throttling your boat....5 blades will trash your drives.

Good luck and enjoy...your boat is gorgeous!!!
Old 04-04-2022, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Speaking from much past experience, stay away from the 5 blades...way too hard on drives...Yes terrific cruising and and great acceleration with 5 blades but over all performance your best bet are the Bravos....
If you ever start barking props in rough water you will be happy you have the 4 blades...unless you are dead on timing throttling your boat....5 blades will trash your drives.

Good luck and enjoy...your boat is gorgeous!!!
I have 130 hours on the 5 blade so far....I run it hard in reasonably rough water. Knock on wood...didn't break yet but there is always tomorrow. I definitely could see how you could hurt a drive on them....lots of bite.

I'm gonna give these Bravos another shot but I'm right on the limiter at 5500+ rpm. Maybe in warmer weather and with a heavier load in the boat it will drop me a couple hundred.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is the exact prop, for reference
Old 04-04-2022, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One other observation....sorry for so many posts.

The boat is pretty fast on the 5 blade trimmed down, trimmed middle, and trimmed all the way out.
The boat on the bravo had to be trimmed all the way out to get speed.

I think that is part of why the driving experience felt better to me on the 5 blade. If you are cruising and you stab the throttles....she goes no matter what and gets there quicker. If you do the same thing on the bravo and you stab the throttles its less acceleration and then you are also delayed in your speed as you start to trim out. I felt I needed more trim....drives are deep down there dragging the bottom of the lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.