New project......replacing TV in a 382. >

New project......replacing TV in a 382.

Notices
Formula

New project......replacing TV in a 382.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: New project......replacing TV in a 382.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Okay.....this is near the top of my project list. Has anyone replace this thing? Is there a factory replacement kit to a flat-panel? What about a replacement unit? What about a replacement unit with a DVD? Any ideas?

The operations manual in my Formula Manual says the manual is for: VV-1300 / VV-1310W / VV-2000 (note those are "v v" at the begining of the model number, not a "w")
I just bought a 400SS and want to change mine out to a flat screen as well. I have seen the newer models that have flat screens, they pull out and the DVD player as well as DVD storage is behind the flat screen. Does anybody know if the new flat screen "slide" will bolt in to where the old TV/VCR is or does it need mods?? Thank you in advance, Patrick
Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have 419 and repalced mine. There should be srcews on the very bottom of the cabinet btween the top. I think there were four. Once you get them out you can pull the panel out. I think there also were some on the right vertical surface as well. You just have to get down really low to see them. I hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I contacted Formula about a month ago for instructions on pulling the TV out so I could hook it up to an inverter. I want it to work off the batteries instead of shorepower. They sent me complete instructions but I have them at the office.

Doubt I'll convert it to a DVD since mine still works. (We just hook a portable DVD player into the input jacks on the front)
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nort - I'm your man. I have the Factory TV removal document (text below). I made a whole new panel out of 1/2" white plexiglas and flush-mounted a flat-panel TV with built in DVD player. (Not sure if I took any pictures when I was done, though!) The panel was pretty easy to make - I just traced the old one on to the new sheet of plexi. Here's a rough drawing. I threw away the original electrical panel door as well, and made a new one from the 1/2" plexi. I had to cut away some of the plywood vertical reinforcing panel on the outboard side to allow for the wider TV.
The DVD loads from the top, so the TV is mounted on a bracket that hinges from the bottom to allow it to swing out. The narrow strip along the top is also attached to the TV to provide clearance in case a DVD ejects itself. Both the TV and the electrical panel use flush stainless hinges that are screwed into the plexiglas edgewise. (Sorry I don't have any pictures of the completed installation.)

FORMULA'S INSTRUCTIONS:

"The TV/VCR unit is secured within the starboard side cabinetry with straps (Figures 2 and 3) that can be accessed by removing the cabinet’s white acrylic face.

The cabinet face is fastened to the cabinet with two angle-aluminum brackets – one directly below the TV/VCR, and one above the electrical panel. Reach below the TV/VCR to locate the fore-mentioned bracket. The remaining bracket can be found just inside and above the thin acrylic “cover door” (Figure 1). Remove both brackets as well as the electrical outlet and air conditioning display (if applicable) from the acrylic face. (My Note: Formula uses a lot of strong double-sided tape to hold things together, so you will need to do a little judicious prying after you get all the screws out. Be VERY careful when prying off the A/C control panel.)

Next, the vinyl-faced light valance board above the cabinet must be removed. Refer to Figure 4 for general locations of the three fasteners that secure this assembly. The two screws labeled “A” double as angle-aluminum bracket fasteners, and as such may have already been removed as part of the procedure outlined above. If not, locate the bracket (located above the cover door shown in Figure 1) and remove the screws. The screw labeled “B” can be found by opening the electrical panel itself, utilizing the round compression-latch key. With the panel open, reach up and back to find and remove this screw. Grasp the top of the light valance board, and pull it away from the acrylic cabinet face. Remove the cabinet face.

With the acrylic face removed, the straps shown in Figures 2 & 3 are accessible. Peel away the Velcro straps on either side of the TV/VCR and remove the nylon strap from the top, back edge of the unit. The TV/VCR can now be removed for service or replacement."

(Sorry I haven't figured out how to cut and paste the pictures....)
Attached Thumbnails New project......replacing TV in a 382.-formulatvpanel.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 01-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nort,

Check with WAGS382. He put a flat panel in a 382 originally without a TV. Looks really good too! He custom fabricated all the hardware.

Keep us posted on what you do. I need to do something with mine too. The original TV was "lost @ sea".
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Nort - I'm your man. I have the TV removal documents stored on my computer at work and will send them to you tomorrow (Thursday). I made a whole new panel out of 1/2" white plexiglas and flush-mounted a flat-panel TV with built in DVD player. (Not sure if I took any pictures when I was done, though!) The panel was pretty easy to make - I just traced the old one on to the new sheet of plexi.
PLEASE forward that email to me too. I was sent a fax that wasn't very good but figured I could use it. If you have something better I would love to see it.

cartershome (AT) comcast (dot) net

Russ C.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Formula's current installation uses a top-hinged TV and a separate DVD player:
Attached Thumbnails New project......replacing TV in a 382.-flatscreentv001-small-.jpg   New project......replacing TV in a 382.-flatscreentv002-small-.jpg   New project......replacing TV in a 382.-flatscreentv003-small-.jpg  

Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW.....maybe I'll bring this down from the top of my list. Awesome info Chuck, and thanks for the email. Is your install "behind" the plexiglass door, or on the front with no door. I can't really tell from your drawing.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
... Is your install "behind" the plexiglass door, or on the front with no door? I can't really tell from your drawing.
It's "behind", but mounted flush.

Hey - I've got my old TV/VCR, and it still works fine, it's just that the outer case is all broken up. If you want it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. Maybe you can cannibalise the two units to make one good one. (Or just glue my case back together...)

Last edited by C_Spray; 01-04-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:00 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

C Spray...thanks for the email. I'll be pulling mine apart this winter once the engines are completed!!!!

Quick Reply: New project......replacing TV in a 382.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.