Did this Birdbrain really screw up? >

Did this Birdbrain really screw up?

Notices
Formula

Did this Birdbrain really screw up?

Old 12-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did this Birdbrain really screw up?

Ok, so I'm changing spark plugs and winterizing the motor yesterday. I'm using a cylinder fogging spray in each cylinder like a good "first time boat owner" should.

First couple of cylinders are done and then the little spray tube (like what comes with WD-40) pops off and I look for it in the bottom of the bilge.

I find it, put it back on and on the third cylinder, it pops off again...but now I can't find it anywhere.

I think little of it and go find another tube from a can of WD-40 and begin using that tube cause the area is tight and I looked everywhere for it.

I keep going and later bump the starter a few times to get the fogging oil into the cylinders at TDC.

After the 8th cylinder, I start to seriously wonder where the first little spray tube went.

The spark plug hole is pretty small and is almost horizontal. The spray tube was well away from the SP hole when it came off the last time...

but I cant find it anywhere!

It's a 233LS with a "crate" Chevy 350. The motor has about 60 hours on it.

1. My dilemma is wondering what will happen next spring when I crank it and perhaps that little tube is in there. What will happen when the engine fires up?

2. By bumping the starter, did I already do damage?

3. A friend said that if it gets into the valve (intake or exhaust) the motor will be likely toast and I must get it out of there. It seems to me that once it fires up, it will melt down and stay put, turning into a melted mess on a cylinder wall or piston head. What's your take?

4. What are the ideas for how to look in there? (Where do I find a bore scope or other such devices for stupid people?)

5. Finding it and getting it out are two different things. any ideas for how to get it out aside from tearing down the cylinder head?

Thanks in advance. I've added a tether to the other spray cans using those sticks now and now know better...
Attached Thumbnails Did this Birdbrain really screw up?-boat-motor.jpg  
Old 12-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine has a fiber optic probe with a light on it and can go thru a plug hole and inspect cylinders. I think it's a Snap On , but not sure. This could put your mind at ease a lot easier than a tear down.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Registered

Super! Is that something that hooks up to a video monitor or do you just look down the tube?

If you can find out the mfgr of the unit, that would be great.

Hmmm. ...Think he'd be willing to send it to N.Carolina over a weekend?
Old 12-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Next year when you are doing this do it with the motor running and add it through your carb. What I do is as the antifreeze is going into the motor I spray in the foging oil into the carb (after I remove the air cleaner of course). It only take a min that way and you are done. The way you are doing it you have to be very carefull as if you build up to much you can actually hydrolock the cylinder.

Jon
Old 12-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

I actually just drain it of water instead of adding in antifreeze. I keep it in outdoor storage on a trailer with no running water nearby.

More "uh-ohs"! I didn't consider adding in too much fogging agent....

There's only one cylinder that might have too much in it but to be on the safe side I'll pull the plugs again when it's time to start it and turn it over a few times.

Should I disconnect the coil wire to make sure a charge doesn't go somewhere unwanted or is there another, better method?

I guess I was thinking that putting it into a running motor would burn off the coating property intended for the cylinder walls. Not the case I guess?...

I also dribbled about a 1/4 cup of Stabil into the carb (not running)

I got a lot to learn....
Old 12-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the stroke on that 350 motor, like 3" or so? Even if the piston was at the bottom of it's stroke, it doesn't seem as though there would be enough room in the cylinder for the little spray tube to actually fall all the way in there. Seems it would be sticking out of the plug hole.

IMO, even if the tube was in there, that engine is just going to injest it and vaporize it. Not great for sure but, I really don't think it will toast the engine. Those valves will chop that thing up like a Ginsu!!! Again, thats only my opinion. Some smarter guys than me should chime in on this.

Good luck dude, you sound a little worried.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Fog thru the carb while running at 1600-2000 rpm. Have somebody turn off the key while you are still fogging.

Leave the old plugs in. They'll be covered with fogging oil and you need to start it up in the spring with those in it still. After running up to temp on the hose then change to new ones.

If you somehow lost the tube into the motor (which I doubt) then it'll melt into soft pieces and pass thru the exhaust (don't run it over 1500 revs when you fire it up for a few mins).

Always pour the motor full of an antifreeze mix after draining it. There's still water in there.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Old floating bird
Super! Is that something that hooks up to a video monitor or do you just look down the tube?

If you can find out the mfgr of the unit, that would be great.

Hmmm. ...Think he'd be willing to send it to N.Carolina over a weekend?
It's small enough to go thru the spark plug hole and has an eye piece on the end to look thru with one eye. There are batteries in the handle and I'm not sure if it uses a bulb or LED for light. It's totally self contained. Sorry ,I doubt he would part with it since the "No tools loaned" ruling went into effect. It's cost him too much already . The last item out the door was a Sawzall and none of us can remember who it was that borrowed it
Old 12-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Registered

The engine will be fine,that little tube wont do any damage. I too stopped lending my tools out, same reason, I cant remember who I lent my sawzall to. I started to laugh after reading that reply!!
Old 12-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I lost a sawzall to an unknown borrower.

And a racoon trap.
And several battery chargers.
And a pellet gun.

Why have we all lost Sawzalls??
(I got the 75th anniversary Super Sawzall with the polished aluminum gearcase and the black commemorative metal box to replace it and it is not a loaner..)

Quick Reply: Did this Birdbrain really screw up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.