Notices
Formula

AudioFN's project: Holy Crap!!!

Old 02-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Old floating bird
Ok Gents, ...Now I've got a bad feeling about my Old Floating Bird.

Its an '81 233LS and I need to know what to look for in case I have similar issues.

The floor boards in the open area are sturdy and do not flex but I wouldn't know what I was looking at or feeling if it were flexing too much at speed. (first boat, zero expereince)

There are no outside cracks in the bow and the previous owner "never let anyone in the boat wet..."

Do I have a pro survey it for similar rot damage or is this the sort of damage that you know is a problem without having to look for it?

BTW: I found the plastic straw from the cylinder fogging fiasco...

OFB
My suggestion to you is to check the tops of your bulkheads. They go side to side in the boat. If they are soft then keep digging. Mine were so rotted that I could take a 3 foot long screwdriver and just push it right down the stringers and bulkheads. I also had zero evidence of this. I found it when I took out the tanks to check for a fuel leak.

Jon
Old 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I understand the stringers to be what I could describe a the "ribs" that provide structure to the bottom and sides of the hull. Let me know if that's right...

I've attached a pic of the interior. It sounds like in order to check a bulkhead or stringer, I need to remove some carpet and interior wood work.
Is that so?

I would imagine that it is better to find a stringer closer to the bilge right? ...The area ahead of it (where the fuel tank) under the seats in the helm is doesn't appear to be accessable to view any stringers.

Is there a universal area I can look into and perform the poke test?

Thanks again...OFB

Do you think your boat was ever under water or is this just a product of bad sealing and moisture that never dried?
Attached Thumbnails AudioFN's project: Holy Crap!!!-cabin.jpg  

Last edited by Old floating bird; 02-03-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Banned

I'd say it's just moisture that was in the cabin. Sometimes that will be caused by using a cover that doesn't breathe. I looked back to see what year it is, because I have the same material on the cusions in a 20 foot 81 I'm redoing.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Registered

Interesting....By chance does the 20ft also have a small sink and accompanying water tank stored under the cushions?

If so, do you think you'll keep the sink/tank setup when it's done?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Old floating bird
Interesting....By chance does the 20ft also have a small sink and accompanying water tank stored under the cushions?

If so, do you think you'll keep the sink/tank setup when it's done?
No, but my 242 had it.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

Ok. I think I have one other potential source from OSO member Brent in San Antonio.

Can you think about that 242 and let me know what area I could best access to look at the stringers/bulkheads?

Is there anything else about that 242 or the 20ft that you did or are gong to do it because of the age of the boat?

For example, I'm working on finding the bow rail bolts and tightening them down & other things that support weight/structure & checking torque on the fasteners. I'm not finding much that needs a turn but am not sure I'm looking in the right areas either...
Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Banned

I would think the easiest bulkhead to get to would be the one between the engine compartment and the cockpit. I removed the bowrail off my 20 footer. Also, I would glass the deck to the hull. Mine wasn't.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Registered

Thanks! I do believe there's a small pass-thru where the fuel lines come into the bilge. I'll look into that and poke around some.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned

Is your avatar a picture from the side of your boat?

This one is on mine.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The most likely place to have rot I would think would be at the bulkhead at the front of your engine bay. You can take a small 1/8" drill bit and drill into it in a few places (bottom is the smartest place to look) and see if the wood comes out wet or dark. If it is lighter in color then you are good to go.

Jon

Quick Reply: AudioFN's project: Holy Crap!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.