Notices
Formula

Throttles for 382

Old 04-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Throttles for 382

Has anyone replaced their Merc units with the drive trim-switch on the side to something better, like Marine Machine or Latham?

I find that I often hit the trim by mistake when it's rough. And I have a hard time throttling and controlling the trim tabs at the same time (how do you safely take your hand off of the sticks in big seas?).

I'm wondering if units like those one Outerlimits, Nortechs, Skaters etc would be an improvement.

What do the F-2 Formula guys use?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We do not have trim on the handles in the race boat. You just kind of get used to it and if you spend enough time on the boat you figure it out. If you want to you can replace them with Gaffrigs or MM fairly easily. Some require a trim ring but most of them make it so you should be good to go.

Jon
Old 04-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '03 Formula 382 GLSCS Pace Boat has the new Gaffrig (oops, I mean Livorsi) throttles. There was a thread somewhere here on OSO recently showing the helm on this particular boat. They look really nice!

I've thought about changing mine out too, but these are big $$$ (around $1500, I think). You might want to check with Too Old here on the board for price and installation tips.

I think the trim in the handle was a nice idea, but I find it awkward to use. I actually had a bolt on trim switch from Rex Marine on my 311 that I liked better ... it felt more "ergonomic" to me.

I have found my 311 and 382 very responsive to minor trim adjustments in rough seas and tend to use quick adjustments in trim rather than the slower K-planes (tabs) when running hard in this type of water.

Although I have not previously considered it or seen it done, I guess one could add a bolt-on trim switch to the throttle handle but wire it through the K-planes to have the ability to adjust the tabs without removing your hand from the sticks(???).

Last edited by RedDog382; 04-07-2004 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ApachePete,

See post #204 in "post pictures of your Formula" thread.