Hats off to older Formulas!!

Notices
Formula

Hats off to older Formulas!!

Old 12-20-2004, 10:13 AM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hats off to older Formulas!!

Hey Outlaw,
How are you doing? Dustin's 311 isn't actually "Palm Beach". Formula had a bunch of unique color combo's in the late 80's and early 90's. That one is called "Nassau". There is a 311 on the cover of the 1990 Formula brochure with #1 Nassau and inside is a spread of the whole boat. They also had Ocean, Newport, Lazer, and a few others before the "new" designs. These colors all wore out on me pretty quickly but they still look great. Later.......Al
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alj
Hey Outlaw,
How are you doing? Dustin's 311 isn't actually "Palm Beach". Formula had a bunch of unique color combo's in the late 80's and early 90's. That one is called "Nassau". There is a 311 on the cover of the 1990 Formula brochure with #1 Nassau and inside is a spread of the whole boat. They also had Ocean, Newport, Lazer, and a few others before the "new" designs. These colors all wore out on me pretty quickly but they still look great. Later.......Al
Looks like they sold about 3 billion of our Palm Beach though!By far the majority. Being Formulas - most are still alive and well
Old 12-20-2004, 11:14 AM
alj
Registered

Three billion would be about right!!! That's why it wore thin with me. Some guys have come up with some interesting ways to change it though. Can't cost much.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could remove them and replace with basic graphics I would - but would take painting the whole boat. I don't want to be into it for what some guys have done.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had the time, you can remove the stripes reasonably easy. Just takes some elbow grease and the willingness to wetsand gelcoat.

It only took me about half an hour to take the stripes off the back of my transom, however I have yet to wetsand the back to bring the gloss back. Gonna be interesting how much time THAT takes.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by alj
Hey Outlaw,
Doing all right. Outlaw is 90% done. Should have it pretty well wrapped up by the end of this weekend. Will still have some wetsanding to do on the transom, but it should be floating and running. Am REALLY trying to make the 2nd Annual New Year's Day Fun Run, IF it warms up a little. Right chilly down here now. Going down to the low 30's tonight. Russ
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
alj
Registered

Russ....you're ticking me off! The southern tip of Lake Mich got 26" of snow last night. On Friday our HIGH temperature is going to be 2 degrees. That's without the 30mph windchill. Set the table for us for Xmas bud. The entire northern Formula contingent is coming to your house this weekend. Can you get the boat done for a Sunday blast? I'll bring my long johns for that chilly ride
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
alj
Registered

CMG....
no need to repaint the whole boat. If you like your design but dont like the colors all you need to do is carefully mask off the offending colors with fineline tape and mask off the remainder of the sides to stop overspray. Once masked, scuff the color you want changed. Carefully scuff as close as possible to the masking tape so adhesion is good. You may have to repair your masking job after scuff sanding. Paint over the existing stripe and it's gone. That's how a paint shop repairs a gouged paint job. Shouldn't be real expensive or a lot of work. If you feel a factory Imron stripe job it almost feels like decals because of the paint ridge. When you paint over it to repair or recolor it simply adds a little thickness to the paint but is unnoticable. Be sure to use Imron or another polyurethane. A good paint shop can easily do this work.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by alj
Russ....you're ticking me off! The southern tip of Lake Mich got 26" of snow last night. On Friday our HIGH temperature is going to be 2 degrees. That's without the 30mph windchill. Set the table for us for Xmas bud. The entire northern Formula contingent is coming to your house this weekend. Can you get the boat done for a Sunday blast? I'll bring my long johns for that chilly ride
Come on down, I'll just buy extra hot dogs.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great thread. I found my '89 311 in Orange Beach, Alabama. Rack stored but showing some age. Nothing a good cleaning and buffing couldn't take care of. I also did a major overhaul in early '03. Motors, drives, interior...I would love to have that new 382 poker run edition but discretion always prevails when it comes to cubic dollars. We attend the Emerald Coast Poker Run in Destin, Florida every summer and I always get compliments from someone with a newer rig. It always helps reinforce my decision not to buy a newer Bird.