Notices
Formula

Rusted bolts thru transome 86 357

Old 12-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rusted bolts thru transome 86 357

Last summer when I had an insurance survey done the guy noticed that the bolts holding the k-planes were rusted and suggested that they be replaced after the season. These look like special bolts since on each plane one is hollow to allow the hydrolic line to pass thru. Does anyone have experience with this? They look hard to get at too. I also noticed that the bolts holding the transmission housing to the transom assembly are rusted also. What is involved with replacing these? The nature of the rusting that I refer to is the bolt heads are flaking. I am concerned that a socket won't hold.

Appreciate your help. Thank you JK
Old 12-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Registered

Default Re: Rusted bolts thru transome 86 357

I had the engines out of my boat this fall and got to see all htat stuff up close. With twins it's not possible to get to all the fastners for the K-Planes without pulling hte engines.

Those fittings for the hydraulic lines are threaded on the outside and the inside and they are expensive but seemed to made of stainless. They also serve as fastners for the K-Planes via the exterior threads, washers and bolts.

THe bolts attaching the tranny neck to the interanl gimble house are BIG steel bolts and sem to always rust--I'd get some stuff called CorrossionX and spray down that stuff unless you just can't resist pulling engines.

Poorsche
Old 12-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Smile Re: Rusted bolts thru transome 86 357

Poorshe,

Thank you for the reply. No, I'm not into pulling engines but it sounds like I'm out of luck here with the k-plane bolts unless I can get at them by removing the riser. Regarding the transmission bolts I'll try that stuff as long as the integrity is not compromised.