Notices
Formula

Chart

Old 02-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chart

When am I flying out there to get your fairing started!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Chart

I'm going to CO skiing in April, so that would be a GREAT time for you to start my faring........ OH @&$*%!!!!! THERE'S NO WAY I'M LEAVING YOU UNATTENDED WITH MY BOAT!!!! You'll have the hull split open to reinforce the keel or something like that.

Really Audio, you're welcome anytime. The boat has wonderful new storage an hour north of LOTO on my parent's farm. 20'x70' lean-to attached to the main shop, with fresh concrete and tall ceilings. I'm building scaffolding to make getting into it easier. It's a joy to work on it there vs where it was, but it's 2 hours away from my house, so I can't just sneak out for a little bit in the evening. Oh well, life is full of compromises.

If you give a little notice before coming, I'll try to find you some of that gay rum you like so much
Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Yup Mount Gay or if you are feeling really rich Grey Goose

I have a few more weeks of hell out this way then I want to get away for a few days so that I am not temped to work. Probably then would be a good time. Is the area heated? We need it to be some what warm so that we can get the resin to kick. I can have the resin mailed out to you but we will have to figure something out with the hardener. It is illegal to ship it out. I can find out about bringing it on the plane but I am guessing that it is a major no no. I do remember that you have a Composites One out there but it was far away? Any chance you are going out that way and you can stop in and grab everything? You can also ask them if they ever make deliveries out to your area any time. Before I got hooked up with them on a more regular basis I used to hook up with them at one of their other accounts or even on the side of the road. Their drivers have always been really cool. I can tell ya what you need. You DO NOT want to have to buy this stuff retail at West or Boat US. Not the same quality and also WAY more money plus only they will have the DB glass that we want. I figure a day to get the templates figured out, another day to cut the things and a day to glass them up. Then you will likely be on your own to bondo and finish sand them fo r gell coating. Yours will be easier then mine from a stand point of it will be off the boat once we get it tabbed together.

Jon
Old 02-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I have given a LOT of thought about how to handle your curved front that you want to do. I think I have it figured out. Will probably use up a good part of a sheet of plywood doing it as there will be a lot of scrap but it should work out well.

Jon
Old 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Registered

Hey, that would great! My plate is overflowing with projects, and I keep advancing a little on each, instead of focusing on one and completing it. You offering to come out this way would be the trigger I need to focus on the faring. In fact there is another OSO 302 owner who's emailed a few times over the year asking about progress. The last time I simply failed to reply out of embarrassment. Got tired of saying "Nope. I haven't made any progress yet" (Note to you know who: I apologize)

The lean-to is only heated with a salamander, and it takes the edge off at best. We could drape plastic curtains and reduce the cubes it was trying to heat, but I don't think that is necessary.

The main shop is heated with a gas forced air furnace, and we can burn some BTU's and get it quite warm, 70ish.

I'll check on Composites One, but do think there were a couple here in the Mid-West.

I've been working with sheets of foam insulation the same thickness as the nida-core, and have a rough shape determined, with saw kerfs running perpendicular to the curve to allow bending. The nida-core will be even easier as we only have to kerf one skin, and the honeycomb will compress easily. But it has still been a pain, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Just Checked on Composits one in the Mid West, and there is a location about 4 hours west of my home, and another about 3 hours north of my office in IN, and oddly enough, I'll probably be in both of those cities in the next month for work.

How much hardener do you estimate we need, and what type?

FWIW: There is a fellow boater local to me who used to own a Corvette shop. He may have contacts with other suppliers here in the city.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I would stick with Composits one as we know what we need and we know the quality and how it works.

You will need 5 gallons of Vinnilester Resin

BEER

Couple yards of DB GLASS

BEER

I think that they sell the MEKP hardener in Quarts but it may be gallons. You really only need about a pint but it is cheap anyhow so....

BEER

You will need a measuring cup for the hardener

BEER

Lots of plastic cups about 1qt minimum 2 is perfect but hard to find

BEER

Stir sticks from Home Depot

BEER

3/4" or 1" plywood

BEER

TONS of tape and probably two roll of wax paper

BEER

Heavy plastic to cover the ENTIRE boat

BEER

My thoughts are to drink some beer, get your drunk then start to cut up your boat with a chain saw

What I was thinking was to take and put down plywood strips that are wide enough to fit btwn the width that you choose for the Nida Core. We put down one on each side, and the rouded one that will also be beveled around the front. These will get screwed into place from underneath. I think that we should put them down with Wax paper and tape under them so that your boat is protected. Then I want to put the side pieces on, then make the front two. By doing it this way we do not have to be perfect on the cut of the rounded front only real close. The Wood will represent the bottom of the fairing and will this way be PERFECT to the boat to create a perfect fit. Then we will tab it (you remember what that means?) and then remove the entire unit carefully off the boat, put it on saw horses or plywood or what ever and then glass it up totally. Should work very well I think. If you are going to get stuff from Comp. One then I would get one more sheet of Nida Core. One for if we make a boo boo and the other is for if you decide that you want to double up the side like I did. I really think that it was the right way to go.

Jon

Jon
Old 02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jon, before you start running around acting like Ghandi, you might want to consider getting YOURS done first!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Cuda you know how it goes. If I am home the phone rings, then instead of going to the shop to work on the boat I wind up going to my customers house and the next thing ya know it is to late to go to the shop Happens all to often.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

OH ya so I should assume that yours is in the water now????