engine oil temp problem >

engine oil temp problem

Notices

engine oil temp problem

Old 08-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil temp problem

I recently purchased a 32 fountain, 93 vintage. On my first time in water I observed high oil temperatures (290+). The boat has twin 502. The other gauges appear to be normal at mid power range: oil pressures 60-70, water temps 165, water pressures app 20, "OIL TEMPs 290". The problem is both engines are reading exactly the same. When I reduce rpm the oil temp drops to around 250 at 1200 rmp. If I had only one engine, I would question my gauge or sending unit, or possibly the oil cooler. But both engines pressures and temperatures are a mirror to each other. The boat has been setting for a couple years. I am starting to question the oil coolers, but don't know the boat that well. Does anyone have an opinion??
Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

Default Re: engine oil temp problem

Welcome to the board. I would post this question in the tech section.

Are the gauges original? Are the engines stock? Can you see an oil cooler? Do you possibly have an add on oil thermostat that is malfunctioning? It sounds like the oil is not getting to the coolers. 290 is way too high if that is actually the temp.
Dan
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered

gauges are original, engines are stock 415 hp, 100 hours on engine rebuild, oil cooler is accessable on rear of block, not sure of an oil thermostat or location. I agree it appears oil is not getting to the oil coolers.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

I had my sending units in the stock location and the oil temp would barely move even at wot , I moved them to the filter housing where the oil exits the blocks and now they read around 250 at cruise and around 275 at wot . This sounds a little high but considering it is taken pre oil cooler , I can live with it ....
Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbratcher
gauges are original, engines are stock 415 hp, 100 hours on engine rebuild, oil cooler is accessable on rear of block, not sure of an oil thermostat or location. I agree it appears oil is not getting to the oil coolers.
I really don't know the tech stuff. I think you wll get a lot more help if you post the same question in the tech section.

There is supposed to be a bypass spring at the base of the block where the adapter for the remote filter bolts to. I wonder if when the engines were rebuilt it was not
re-installed. That would allow oil to by-pass the filter and the cooler. Just a thought. The Tech guys could probably point you in the right direction.
Dan
Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

Re: engine oil temp problem

I had the same problem with my Pre-owned 27 fever. Then I changed the oil. ( Mobile 1) Problem solved! I run the boat pretty hard and the oil temp Hardly moved.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: engine oil temp problem

Originally Posted by 96fever
I had the same problem with my Pre-owned 27 fever. Then I changed the oil. ( Mobile 1) Problem solved! I run the boat pretty hard and the oil temp Hardly moved.
Can I have an Amen?