35 Ex / single step lightning >

35 Ex / single step lightning

Notices

35 Ex / single step lightning

Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 35 Ex / single step lightning

Thanks for the tip, as far as the bilge mine ALWAYS has water in in to tried tefloning plug still leaks....??????
Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Registered

My 27 had the same problem. I don't know if the 35 Ex has a anchor locker or not, but that is where it was coming from on the 27. The through hull fitting that drains the anchor locker was leaking. It doesn't seal around the anchor locker allowing more water to go down in the bilge than actually goes through the fitting and out of the boat. I ended up making a fiberglass "tunnel" for lack of a better description that goes from the anchor compartment through the hull and then siliconed the fitting back in there. Also need to add a check vavle on the hose that goes to the pump under the step as it won't pump all the water out of there because the water that is in the hose runs back in once the pump shuts off without it. The original set up is really a bad design.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Not sure if this will help, but here are my Fountain experiences regarding front and rear bilge water/leaks.

My '04 27' single step was always bone dry under the cabin step, but it was NEVER left oustide or uncovered. Always kept under a full mooring cover on a hydrohoist in a fully covered slip. BTW, it did have a small bilge pum under the cabin step.

My '00 38' twin step arrived after I bought it used with a ton of nasty water under the cabin step. I called the seller and he said it was bone dry when it left. I was skeptical, but called the transport co and they said it poured like hell on them during the delivery. Had the cockpit cover on during transport, but not the full mooring cover. Got the water out and left the step open with a small fan blowing in there for a few days to ensure that all moisture was out. Had no problems UNTIL I had to get my engines rebuilt and it sat outside again with just the cockpit cover on. Again, a ton of nasty water under the step. Again, a rain storm while it was outside. Never tried to track down the source of the leak, but heard the following from a Fountain dealer. If you have a stepped hull, the water that does get in the front bilge collects in the steps in the hull until you get the boat on a BIG incline (i.e. steep boat ramp, big roller, etc.). The end result is water that stays down in the hull steps for quite a while which then smells terrible and continues to show up everytime the bow is raised enough for some to spill over the steps in the hull and into the area under the cabin step. I think Orion may be onto something re: the anchor locker, I never see water drain out the side of my locker and I know water gets in either (1) when I pull the wet anchor line up or (2) through the cutout in the anchor locker hatch for the anchor line when it rains. BTW, it has a small bilge pump under the cabin step as well.

Finally, regarding water in the rear bilge (i.e. below the engines), both of my Fountains have leaked water around the exhaust. My '04 27' (496HO) leaked around the hose clamps that connect the exhaust to the captian's call. My '00 38' (twin 500HP carb's) leaks around the "hinges" in the captain's call flappers, but typically only when the exhaust is "closed" (i.e. thru prop) and the engines are cold. I was able to find both after spending some time in the bilge with the engines running under different situations (hot, cold, at idle, at speed, exhaust closed/open, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Brad
Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered

all great tips!!! one more for the eng. area is leaking rear rub rails, when you back the boat into the water most fountains will have water come over the rear rail for a second until it backs off the trailer, if any of the rub rail is leaking it will add water to the bilge
Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the tips guys, I believe the water is coming in during rain storms but dont know where, I dont have a anchor locker. I am wondering if the bilge under the step takes in water through the drain hose when waves are hitting the boat hard broad side. I am going to try a check valve in that line, go over all my grab rail gaskets and cletes and see what happens.

(Maybe I ll just run it hard stuff the nose run in the cuddy real quick and see where it comes in first.)
Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

On my 35' single step, I'm guessing the water is coming in the engine compartment vents during heavy rain.

Joel
Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered

I have heard a lot of guys say that water comes in around there windshield. Mine stays dry knock on wood but I also have a wind screen, maybe they are sealed better.?????????
Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JoelHene
On my 35' single step, I'm guessing the water is coming in the engine compartment vents during heavy rain.

Joel
that is common and if you dont jack the nose of the boat high when on trailer the water will run forward to the front bilge area, another leak source is the ice chest, the drain hose only runs a couple feet right past the center bulkhead then the hose stops, there is only a 2 or 3 inch raised area in the floor to keep the water toward the back on the port side on the 35 classic's
Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

come to think about it . when I first got mine the floor was wet and I found the drain hose for the cooler had been knocked off, not much room under the cooler for storage
Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

I have a 48 express cruiser and water does come in where the windscreen is mounted. The screws that hold the windscreen are covered with black foam strip( 1"X3/4"). This strip is not UV protected and has disintegrated in two years. I also think that a hole needs to be drilled at the aft part of the lower frame to let water out. Also if you have opening ports on the side of the boat, they are adjustable to keep water from coming in.
Ken North

Quick Reply: 35 Ex / single step lightning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.